Author Topic: Delete Files to Subdirectory  (Read 4236 times)

Offline stevieray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Delete Files to Subdirectory
« on: August 26, 2007, 09:19:31 PM »

It would be nice if there was a way to configure a relative path to use for file deletion.  For example, a subdirectory under the current location of the photo called "deleted", and each file deleted would simply be moved into this location.  I find this useful when culling images to delete all the substandard images, and then before doing a real delete, review the contents of this directory just for a sanity check.  Is this something that could be added?

Thanks.

Offline jimb

• View Profile
Re: Delete Files to Subdirectory
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 05:17:36 AM »
It would be nice if there was a way to configure a relative path to use for file deletion.  For example, a subdirectory under the current location of the photo called "deleted", and each file deleted would simply be moved into this location.  I find this useful when culling images to delete all the substandard images, and then before doing a real delete, review the contents of this directory just for a sanity check. 

You can effectively do the same thing by tagging the rejects, or assigning a color label or rating that indicates "reject". When you are ready to review them, display only the tagged images or the images assigned a reject rating. This approach is actually easier in that you don't have to move images from the deleted directory if you decide they aren't really rejects.

Offline tourist

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Delete Files to Subdirectory
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 08:01:30 AM »
It would be nice if there was a way to configure a relative path to use for file deletion.  For example, a subdirectory under the current location of the photo called "deleted", and each file deleted would simply be moved into this location.  I find this useful when culling images to delete all the substandard images, and then before doing a real delete, review the contents of this directory just for a sanity check. 

You can effectively do the same thing by tagging the rejects, or assigning a color label or rating that indicates "reject". When you are ready to review them, display only the tagged images or the images assigned a reject rating. This approach is actually easier in that you don't have to move images from the deleted directory if you decide they aren't really rejects.

Tagging and moving the files is an extra step that I am trying to avoid.  I use file synchronization software to automatically backup and copy my files to two different NAS arrays (one onsite and one offsite).   The software will detect files that have been moved and take care of getting them into the rejects dir.  I typically do not remove these flies for several months.   After I am sure that I have no need for these further images they are purged.

I would like to see a way in PM to have files automatically sorted into subdirs depending on rating/color as well.  I know this might be beyond the scope of PM but I hope that at least a delete subdir is possible.  FWIW, I am a BreezeBrowser using who is trying to move to PM to facilitate my upcoming move to a Mac.  The ability to move files to a delete dir is a feature that exists in BBPro and one that I rely on for my workflow.