Author Topic: email interface  (Read 4704 times)

Offline tourist

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
email interface
« on: August 28, 2007, 07:02:50 PM »
What is the purpose of the buttons at the end of the To:, CC:, and BCC: fields?  It appears that they are supposed to be lists of email addresses but clicking on them does nothing.  It would be ideal if it were able to retrieve contacts from my email client but short of that if they would just store the addresses that I use it would be great.   I am running on an XP machine.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: email interface
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 08:52:56 PM »
What is the purpose of the buttons at the end of the To:, CC:, and BCC: fields?  It appears that they are supposed to be lists of email addresses but clicking on them does nothing.  It would be ideal if it were able to retrieve contacts from my email client but short of that if they would just store the addresses that I use it would be great.   I am running on an XP machine.

It would be helpful to know what email client you use on your Windows XP machine...

-Kirk

Offline tourist

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 09:11:46 PM »

It would be helpful to know what email client you use on your Windows XP machine...

-Kirk

Sorry, I use gmail but in order to mail from PM I installed and configured ThunderBird.  I can send mail just fine with PM now with the exception of the problem above.

g

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 01:13:49 AM »

Sorry, I use gmail but in order to mail from PM I installed and configured ThunderBird.  I can send mail just fine with PM now with the exception of the problem above.

Microsoft provides access to the Outlook/Outlook Express address book via MAPI interfaces.  Apparently ThunderBird does not, thus no dialog with a list of contacts appears on your system when you use those buttons.

I don't think there is anything that can be done about it (on my end or yours) until the Mozilla people add that support to ThunderBird.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 12:36:27 PM »
I use Thunderbird too and just for my interest, I tried the "Send photo via email" option (haven't had a use for it yet).  Indeed, the ... buttons do not show anything.  However, a perfectly sane work-around exists: just press Ok and let the mail composition window open and choose the people you want to send the mail to.  All of Thunderbird's normal options are available to you there :)

Good enough for me (but then again, haven't really used the mail functionality).

Cheers
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl