Author Topic: Vista issues  (Read 8351 times)

Offline Kerry Pierce

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Vista issues
« on: August 29, 2007, 11:33:38 AM »
I'm still having some issues with PM and Vista, especially across a network.  PM is slower to load than it was on my XP machine and it doesn't like working across the network, neither to another Vista machine nor an XP machine.  Any network file operations are very slow and it usually crashes. For example, copying a file via PM is extremely slow, whereas using explorer or another file manager is very fast for the same operation.

Any tips or hints on how to address the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Kerry Pierce

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Vista issues
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 10:16:48 AM »
Apparently, nobody has a guess as to what's wrong with my setup.  I surely can't figure it out.  :(

PM just crashed again, when opened a folder across the network on an XP machine and told it to select the files color coded as winners. It just froze and I had to close it with task manager.

Nikon View, which isn't Vista compatible, has issues as well, but not as severe as PM. 

Seems like it's a Vista issue, somehow not handling the files with these 2 programs as it does with others, such as the explorer file manager or with Magellan Explorer, which is another file manager.

Forgot another point.  PM doesn't always open the last folder for me.  For example, I prefer to browse the files across the network, select the ones that I want to edit and transfer them to my main machine, using PM.  When it works, I close the network folder in PM and leave it set at one of the local folders on my main machine when I close it.  But, when I start PM. it frequently will open the last used network folder and takes several minutes to open, because of that.  It's really frustrating... :(
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 10:21:57 AM by Kerry Pierce »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 12:38:50 PM »
Apparently, nobody has a guess as to what's wrong with my setup.  I surely can't figure it out.  :(

PM just crashed again, when opened a folder across the network on an XP machine and told it to select the files color coded as winners. It just froze and I had to close it with task manager.

Nikon View, which isn't Vista compatible, has issues as well, but not as severe as PM. 

Seems like it's a Vista issue, somehow not handling the files with these 2 programs as it does with others, such as the explorer file manager or with Magellan Explorer, which is another file manager.

Forgot another point.  PM doesn't always open the last folder for me.  For example, I prefer to browse the files across the network, select the ones that I want to edit and transfer them to my main machine, using PM.  When it works, I close the network folder in PM and leave it set at one of the local folders on my main machine when I close it.  But, when I start PM. it frequently will open the last used network folder and takes several minutes to open, because of that.  It's really frustrating... :(

I really don't have any answers for you.  Photo Mechanic functions quite well on my Vista system, though I don't use it as much as XP.  Hopefully when the first Service Pack comes out things will improve across the board.  Windows XP had similar 'growing pains'.

-Kirk

Offline Andrew MacKay

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Keaphotos.com
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 12:06:19 AM »
There have been some talk of Vista TCP/IP issues ... you may want to have a read of this ...

[url]http://www.buit.org/2006/10/18/vista-performance-tweaks/[url]

HTH

Andrew Mac

Offline tomoc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Cloudview Images
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 02:26:46 AM »

I really don't have any answers for you.  Photo Mechanic functions quite well on my Vista system, though I don't use it as much as XP.  Hopefully when the first Service Pack comes out things will improve across the board.  Windows XP had similar 'growing pains'.

-Kirk

Hi Kirk-

I have been using a Vista machine without any trouble for about a month... untill tonight. I have just had 6 blue screens of death from PM. At first I thought it was related to the stationery pad, but then found that any "second click" before a command had exeucted would immediately crash me...such as clicking down a nav bar to see lower parts of the stationery pad... then I cliced once on the X to close...it was very slow to respond and right after it did... another blue screen.

I really can't use it at all on this machine...

I uninstalled and reinstalled... same issue.

Any other thoughts?

thanks,

tom
Tom O'Connell
Cloudview Images

TomOC@earthlink.net
www.CloudViewImages.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 09:44:46 AM »
Tom,

I have been using a Vista machine without any trouble for about a month... untill tonight. I have just had 6 blue screens of death from PM. At first I thought it was related to the stationery pad, but then found that any "second click" before a command had exeucted would immediately crash me...such as clicking down a nav bar to see lower parts of the stationery pad... then I cliced once on the X to close...it was very slow to respond and right after it did... another blue screen.

I really can't use it at all on this machine...

I uninstalled and reinstalled... same issue.

User applications (like Photo Mechanic) are not generally able to directly cause BSODs.  That privilege is reserved for drivers.  I would guess that something is wrong with the hardware or drivers on your system.

-Kirk

Offline tomoc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Cloudview Images
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 05:45:58 PM »
Thanks, Kirk.

Would you have any tips on how to troubleshoot it? What is weird is that it doesn't (as far as I can tell) happen with any other app running (including PS CS3, iview, imatch, fastsone, any office app, etc). The only thing I've changed on the machine is I used it to install a new Linksys router and have there setup software on the machine (can't see how that could be a problem, but if you think I should uninstall it, I'll be glad to try that). There is literally nothing else new on this pretty new (one month old) laptop... oh... except, of course, all the norton and MS auto updates... I just accept all of them.

thanks,

tom

Tom O'Connell
Cloudview Images

TomOC@earthlink.net
www.CloudViewImages.com

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 05:32:12 AM »
Would you have any tips on how to troubleshoot it? What is weird is that it doesn't (as far as I can tell) happen with any other app running (including PS CS3, iview, imatch, fastsone, any office app, etc). The only thing I've changed on the machine is I used it to install a new Linksys router and have there setup software on the machine (can't see how that could be a problem, but if you think I should uninstall it, I'll be glad to try that). There is literally nothing else new on this pretty new (one month old) laptop... oh... except, of course, all the norton and MS auto updates... I just accept all of them.

Tom, as Kirk already mentioned BSOD can generally only be caused by device drivers.  So I would start looking into that.  You recently installed a new router, and installed setup sw on you machine for it.  This sounds like a likely candidate of your trouble.

At least two things are a possible cause to the trouble:
1. The router causes a problem in the network drivers of Vista (I have seen this happen in the past).
2.  With the setup of the Linksys SW, you installed a (network) driver that does not work properly and/or is not Vista certified.

Note that in general NO special software is required to be able to connect and use a router (it communicates using standard protocols built-into the OS).  The only SW I know is sometimes installed as part of the setup of a new router is software that initialises the router for the first time and sets it up for use with your provider (in case of e.g. an ADSL router).  But it could be in this case a network driver was included as well, causing your problems.

I would suggest to try uninstalling the Linksys SW and see if that helps (#2).  If that doesn't help, you could see if it is the router by disconnecting it from your machine.

Hope this helps.

Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline tomoc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Cloudview Images
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 05:10:03 PM »
thanks, Hayo-

I've now spent about 4 hours troubleshooting this puppy (just today).

I uninstalled all the linksys stuff ... no help.. .disconnected from wifit (it is a wireless router)... no help. actually went back to using an older router...no help.

I went back to the earliest restore point I had on the pc (which is less than a month in use)...no help. I uninstalled about half the software on the system... no help. The only thing that was funky was that I couldn't uninstall HP scan software...just would not work, so I deleted everything HP in the registry and all the .dll's in system32 but that didn't help either.

I am travelling this week and can't do the job now, but I see no other course but to stop using PM until I can format the hard drive and reinstall windows and all the software... yuck... but it looks like I will be wasting more time trying to figure it out than it will take to just start over.

cheers,

tom
tom
Tom O'Connell
Cloudview Images

TomOC@earthlink.net
www.CloudViewImages.com