Author Topic: Photo Mechanic hangup  (Read 4091 times)

Offline Rich Gibson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic hangup
« on: September 02, 2007, 10:25:27 AM »
I've been encountering a repeatable problem with every version of Photo Mechanic to date.  Currently I"m on 4.5.1.1.  I use a Mac Pro 3.0 ghz with 6gb of RAM.  The problem occurs when I'm scanning through nefs.  If I go quickly through them either pausing for a second or so, or I hit the right arrow quickly to get to a particular image which is visible on the lower "filmstrip"  the image stops changing and the screen freeezes.  Sometimes it catches up after hanging for 10-20 seconds and then subsequent images come up and freeze in turn for varying periods of time.  At the same time I can hear my hard drive seem to go wild cycling and clicking like mad.  Usually I have to have activity monitor force a quit and then re-srtart Photo Mechanic.

Thanks, Rich

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic hangup
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 09:59:34 PM »
Rich,

I've been encountering a repeatable problem with every version of Photo Mechanic to date.  Currently I"m on 4.5.1.1.  I use a Mac Pro 3.0 ghz with 6gb of RAM.  The problem occurs when I'm scanning through nefs.  If I go quickly through them either pausing for a second or so, or I hit the right arrow quickly to get to a particular image which is visible on the lower "filmstrip"  the image stops changing and the screen freeezes.  Sometimes it catches up after hanging for 10-20 seconds and then subsequent images come up and freeze in turn for varying periods of time.  At the same time I can hear my hard drive seem to go wild cycling and clicking like mad.  Usually I have to have activity monitor force a quit and then re-srtart Photo Mechanic.

Do you have RAW rendering using Apple's ImageIO enabled?  It seems to use tremendous amounts of RAM to do what it does.

What are your Photo Mechanic cache settings?  (Open the Preferences dialog and click on the Caching tab.)

-Kirk