Author Topic: Bridge Ratings & Labels compatibility?  (Read 8732 times)

Offline AnthonyAdachi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Bridge Ratings & Labels compatibility?
« on: September 02, 2007, 04:48:13 PM »
Hello,

Adobe bridge offers to ways to tag images, with their 5-star ratings system and with labels. I understand that Photo Mechanic supports the 5-Star system if you enable the 0-5 ratings in the prefs.

My question is does Photo Mechanic support the Bridge labeling system as well?

Thanks,

Anthony

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: Bridge Ratings & Labels compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 05:47:19 PM »
Yes, they are compatible and you can see the stars in Adobe's programs as well. The only problem is Adobe's bad metadata support, i.e. its incosistency in reading embedded XMP over sidecar files XMP. Complain to Adobe :) You must set up Photomechanic with these options:

"Add Tag, Color Class, and Rating to IPTC/XMP" : FOR ALL PHOTOS (Files tab in prefs)

and possibly also the correct order in IPTC/XMP prefs tab (search the forum for Adobe compatible setting, I don't remember it at the moment).

It works well, the stars are perfectly visible in Bridge/...

Offline AnthonyAdachi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 06:19:52 PM »

Bridge stars and Bridge labels are different kinds of tags within bridge.

I was not asking about the Bridge stars , I was asking about the Bridge labels.

-Anthony

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 10:03:37 PM »
Anthony,

My question is does Photo Mechanic support the Bridge labeling system as well?

Yes, but it takes a bit of configuration.  You need to make sure that the Label names you use in Bridge are the same in Photo Mechanic, so either modify PM's Color Class titles or modify Bridge's.

Then as long as you're using XMP (sidecars on RAW files, embedded XMP on JPEG, TIFF, PSD, and DNG) then they should sync right up.

-Kirk

Offline AnthonyAdachi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 06:03:59 AM »

Yes, but it takes a bit of configuration.  You need to make sure that the Label names you use in Bridge are the same in Photo Mechanic, so either modify PM's Color Class titles or modify Bridge's.

Then as long as you're using XMP (sidecars on RAW files, embedded XMP on JPEG, TIFF, PSD, and DNG) then they should sync right up.

So, one can assign both a 1-5 or zero star rating and a Color Class label on an image in Photo Mechanic without causing issues within Photo Mechanic?

In other words, within Photo Mechanic, an image can have both 0-5 stars attached and a Color Class even though one might have different uses for these systems?

The reason why I ask is that, currently I'm trying to implement  the suggested method's in Peter Krogh's, The DAM book. In which 0-5 star ratings are used for positive ratings while labels are used more or less for status designations & negative ratings.

Thanks,

Anthony

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 07:49:53 AM »
Anthony, yes PM supports both the star rating as well as the colour coding independently.
(in fact you have 8 colour + no colour different designations/neg ratings available).

Cheers.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline AnthonyAdachi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 08:11:27 AM »
Anthony, yes PM supports both the star rating as well as the colour coding independently.
(in fact you have 8 colour + no colour different designations/neg ratings available).

Cheers.

Fabulous! Thank for your help,

-Anthony

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 11:41:51 PM »

I was not asking about the Bridge stars , I was asking about the Bridge labels.
-Anthony

Yes, I think this was nicely answered by Kirk. And both do work fine. :)

Just mind one thing, in Bridge, the colour ratings are just five, unlike all nine, and their colour cannot be changed unlike in PM. Thus, it's more easier to just change the colours in PM to be like the ones in Bridge, and use just the first five of them.

Offline AnthonyAdachi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 05:42:04 AM »
Just mind one thing, in Bridge, the colour ratings are just five, unlike all nine, and their colour cannot be changed unlike in PM. Thus, it's more easier to just change the colours in PM to be like the ones in Bridge, and use just the first five of them.

Thanks for the tip Frantisek.

-Anthony