Author Topic: Update IPTC/XMP... Tool issue with ImageIngesterPro generated sidecars  (Read 4180 times)

Offline AnthonyAdachi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello,

I've run into an issue with Photo Mechanic's handling of XMP sidecar files which were originally generated by ImageIngesterPro. Specifically, the IPTC Time & Date field gets undesirably changed to the time & date that the IPTC metadata was modified under certain circumstances...

1. Ingested images using ImageIngesterPro 2.3.01B22 which generated XMP sidecars filled out with IPTC info for the images. Note, that ImageIngesterPro only creates sidecar files it doesn't modify the RAW or jpeg camera originals.

2. Images were opened up in Photo Mechanic 4.5.2.

3. "Update IPTC/XMP..." Tool was used on selected jpeg & RAW pairs to update the jpegs from the IPTC/XMP data in the RAW files (i.e.- contained in the ImageIngesterPro generated XMP sidecar files).

4. The IPTC Date & Time field gets changed to the time & date that the tool was applied!

However, if one first makes a change to the IPTC metadata of a selected RAW file in Photo Mechanic before using the "Update IPTC/XMP..." Tool then the IPTC Date  does not get undesirably modified and remains faithful to the capture date.

Thanks,

Anthony

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Update IPTC/XMP... Tool issue with ImageIngesterPro generated sidecars
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 10:15:02 PM »
Anthony,

I've run into an issue with Photo Mechanic's handling of XMP sidecar files which were originally generated by ImageIngesterPro. Specifically, the IPTC Time & Date field gets undesirably changed to the time & date that the IPTC metadata was modified under certain circumstances...

1. Ingested images using ImageIngesterPro 2.3.01B22 which generated XMP sidecars filled out with IPTC info for the images. Note, that ImageIngesterPro only creates sidecar files it doesn't modify the RAW or jpeg camera originals.

Are you saying that this application creates sidecar XMP files for JPEGs?

Quote from: AnthonyAdachi

3. "Update IPTC/XMP..." Tool was used on selected jpeg & RAW pairs to update the jpegs from the IPTC/XMP data in the RAW files (i.e.- contained in the ImageIngesterPro generated XMP sidecar files).

4. The IPTC Date & Time field gets changed to the time & date that the tool was applied!

However, if one first makes a change to the IPTC metadata of a selected RAW file in Photo Mechanic before using the "Update IPTC/XMP..." Tool then the IPTC Date  does not get undesirably modified and remains faithful to the capture date.

Can you send me some sample files so I can check this out for myself?  Contact me privately by clicking on my name to the left of this message then send me a Personal message.  I will respond with server upload info.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline AnthonyAdachi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Update IPTC/XMP... Tool issue with ImageIngesterPro generated sidecars
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 04:21:45 PM »
Kirk,

I sent you a private message as requested.

Thanks,

Anthony

Anthony,

Are you saying that this application creates sidecar XMP files for JPEGs?

Quote from: AnthonyAdachi

Can you send me some sample files so I can check this out for myself?  Contact me privately by clicking on my name to the left of this message then send me a Personal message.  I will respond with server upload info.

Thanks,

-Kirk