Author Topic: Edited Files - Marking and JPG  (Read 4754 times)

Offline dohearne

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Edited Files - Marking and JPG
« on: September 10, 2007, 09:56:19 AM »
I downloaded the trial of PM this weekend to use with Capture NX and thus far have been very pleased and it is better for me than other browser programs that I have tried. I have 2 questions which I don't think are addressed by other threads, but I did not do an exhaustive search. First, when I edit a NEF file in NX is there any way to have that fact automatically appended to the image or file data in PM? Currently, I am manually color coding an edited file when I return to PM. Second, I was glad to see that the thumbnail image in PM will reflect my edits. However, if I have try to save from PM my NEF as a JPG file for other use, my edits are not reflected in the exported JPG file. I assume that this is being generated from the original embedded JPG. Can I generate an edited JPG from my edited NEF file from within PM or do must I always do that in NX?

You product is very easy to use and I can already see why it is so popular.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Edited Files - Marking and JPG
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 12:17:35 PM »
First, when I edit a NEF file in NX is there any way to have that fact automatically appended to the image or file data in PM? Currently, I am manually color coding an edited file when I return to PM.

There is no way to do that currently.  Some clever folks have figured out how to use Code Replacement and the thumbnail labels to indicate that a photo has been edited in Capture NX.  I don't know what thread that was however.

Quote from: dohearne
Second, I was glad to see that the thumbnail image in PM will reflect my edits. However, if I have try to save from PM my NEF as a JPG file for other use, my edits are not reflected in the exported JPG file. I assume that this is being generated from the original embedded JPG. Can I generate an edited JPG from my edited NEF file from within PM or do must I always do that in NX?

You didn't say, but I think you must be on the Mac OS X version.  It can use Apple's ImageIO to render RAW files and is likely rendering the images with the 'as shot' settings.  In order to get the adjusted image you can extract the embedded JPEG preview (it's faster than Save As) with the "Extract JPEG Previews from RAW photos..." command on the Tools menu.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 01:48:29 AM »
First, when I edit a NEF file in NX is there any way to have that fact automatically appended to the image or file data in PM? Currently, I am manually color coding an edited file when I return to PM.

There is no way to do that currently.  Some clever folks have figured out how to use Code Replacement and the thumbnail labels to indicate that a photo has been edited in Capture NX.  I don't know what thread that was however.

The solution was to make use of the {firmware} field which gets changed to "Capture NX 1.x.0" when the file is changed by Capture.  This can then be used to identify them (e.g. set a label).  Fancier is to create code replacements that converts the "Capture NX 1.x.0" string into something nicer, but that's advanced ;)

Quote from: dohearne
Second, I was glad to see that the thumbnail image in PM will reflect my edits. However, if I have try to save from PM my NEF as a JPG file for other use, my edits are not reflected in the exported JPG file. I assume that this is being generated from the original embedded JPG. Can I generate an edited JPG from my edited NEF file from within PM or do must I always do that in NX?

You didn't say, but I think you must be on the Mac OS X version.  It can use Apple's ImageIO to render RAW files and is likely rendering the images with the 'as shot' settings.  In order to get the adjusted image you can extract the embedded JPEG preview (it's faster than Save As) with the "Extract JPEG Previews from RAW photos..." command on the Tools menu.

I wholeheartedly support this: the extract works great!  The quality of the embedded JPEG (especially after saving with NX) is very high.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline dohearne

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 06:28:20 AM »
Thanks Kirk and Hayo. The extract JPG method worked perfectly ;D. I also added the firmware field to my info list and that will be a nice reminder to change the label field. I will search the site for the thread on the code replacement method to automate the process. BTW, Hayo great images on your website.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 05:54:50 AM »
Thanks Kirk and Hayo. The extract JPG method worked perfectly ;D.
You're welcome, glad it works!
I also added the firmware field to my info list and that will be a nice reminder to change the label field.
A quicker way would be to have PM add a "label" to images on the contact sheet.  Go to the Preferences and select the Contact Sheet tab.  There you'll find you can select to show "names only" (default) or "name + x label(s)".  The labels are actually free text.  By setting the label to "{firmware}" you will immediately get the reminder you want without having to move the mouse over the image.
I will search the site for the thread on the code replacement method to automate the process.
Actually, if I recall correctly, the code replacement was only to make the string look nicer :)
BTW, Hayo great images on your website.
Thanks  :D
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline dohearne

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 10:17:23 AM »
A quicker way would be to have PM add a "label" to images on the contact sheet.  Go to the Preferences and select the Contact Sheet tab.  There you'll find you can select to show "names only" (default) or "name + x label(s)".  The labels are actually free text.  By setting the label to "{firmware}" you will immediately get the reminder you want without having to move the mouse over the image.

Hayo, I am tardy in checking the forum and did not realize you had responded again. I have changed my Preferences as you suggested and now I can readily see when I have edited a file in NX. Once again thanks for the help.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 10:19:39 AM by dohearne »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 08:14:28 AM »
No problem, just glad it helped  :D

Cheers
Hayo Baan - Photography