Author Topic: Issue with viewing NEF files generated by Capture NX  (Read 2811 times)

Offline discosteve

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Issue with viewing NEF files generated by Capture NX
« on: October 12, 2007, 09:39:34 AM »
I've been using Photo Mechanic for a while and just ran across an issue with certain NEF files generated by Capture NX.

When I shoot NEFs and edit them in Capture NX, it integrates perfectly and Photo Mechanic reflects all the changes.  I am currently going back through a number of older jpegs and working with them in Capture NX.  Capture NX allows me to save these as NEF files which isn't really a raw file at this point, but it does save all my edit steps.  I'm thinking that Capture NX embeds a preview jpg in the NEF file in this mode as well, because the thumbnails show up correctly in Windows Explorer.  However, Photo Mechanic seems to ignore the new preview image and only displays the original, unedited jpg.  I haven't been able to figure out a way to get it to show the updated image.  I'm guessing that this is an issue with the way Capture NX saves the new NEF file, but is there any way I can get Photo Mechanic to show these changes?

Thanks for your help!

Offline hjens

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Issue with viewing NEF files generated by Capture NX
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 07:08:27 AM »
However, Photo Mechanic seems to ignore the new preview image and only displays the original, unedited jpg.  I haven't been able to figure out a way to get it to show the updated image. 

Hi
I have not have that problem but got the idea that it maybe could be if you have set Photo Mechanic to "combine RAW+JPG into sigle thumbnails" and you have "old" jpg-files with same names in the same folder as the new edit NEFs with embeds jpg I guess this could trick PM to show the old images??

But I have not tested this myself

Henning.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Issue with viewing NEF files generated by Capture NX
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 07:16:56 AM »
I've been using Photo Mechanic for a while and just ran across an issue with certain NEF files generated by Capture NX.

When I shoot NEFs and edit them in Capture NX, it integrates perfectly and Photo Mechanic reflects all the changes.  I am currently going back through a number of older jpegs and working with them in Capture NX.  Capture NX allows me to save these as NEF files which isn't really a raw file at this point, but it does save all my edit steps.  I'm thinking that Capture NX embeds a preview jpg in the NEF file in this mode as well, because the thumbnails show up correctly in Windows Explorer.  However, Photo Mechanic seems to ignore the new preview image and only displays the original, unedited jpg.  I haven't been able to figure out a way to get it to show the updated image.  I'm guessing that this is an issue with the way Capture NX saves the new NEF file, but is there any way I can get Photo Mechanic to show these changes?

If you're willing to upload a sample to our server, I'd be happy to take a look at it.  Please contact me directly by clicking on my name to the left of this message and then send me a Personal Message.  I will give you server upload information.

-Kirk