Author Topic: "Set Code Replacements" Not Working  (Read 10095 times)

Offline william

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
"Set Code Replacements" Not Working
« on: September 06, 2007, 07:45:55 AM »
I'm having problems getting code replacement to work with PM4.5.2 on a Mac running OS 10.4.10

I have used code replacement in the past when you had to load the text file from under the IPTC preferences (I forget which version of PM that was). But now using the same txt file and loading it under the Edit menu I'm not having any luck.

I'm trying to get PM to use a camera serial number to put a photographer's name into the caption field and photographer line while ingesting. This should be a pretty easy task and something I have had no problem doing in the past, but for some reason it's not working now.

When I put the variable {serialnum} into the photographer line of the IPTC field, PM successfully puts the camera's serial number there on ingest. But when I load the txt file under Set Code Replacements, PM fails to put my name in the field and continues to put the camera's serial number.

This seems to indicate to me that the txt file is not properly written. But this same txt file has worked in the past, so I'm sort of stuck. A copy of the file I'm using is attached.

Any suggestions?

William Luther
San Antonio Express-News

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: "Set Code Replacements" Not Working
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 09:09:45 AM »
William, your file looks Ok to me, so that's probably not the problem.
However, are you sure you are telling PM to treat the {serialnum} as a code replacement?  E.g., are you not forgetting to put the code replacement delimiter around it (\{serialnum}\)?

HTH
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline william

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 09:15:40 AM »
Hayo,

I think you win the problem solver prize of the day! The minute I read your post I knew that was what I was doing wrong.

Thanks for your help.

William Luther
San Antonio Express-News

Offline Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 09:04:04 PM »
so anyone else think that code replacement working in the Info Text would be useful?
You could replace serial numbers with "Camera 1" or "Mark III camera 1" so you would instantly know which camera you were using for that frame...
You can do it now in iptc text areas but having this info visible while flipping through previews would be useful to me.
Wish List item?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 01:41:02 AM »
Bob, you can already do this; code replacements also work in the info text.
(Or am I misunderstanding your question)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 10:07:09 AM »
Hi Hayo,
Not working for me...
I put \{serialnum}\ into the set info text.
my code replacement is "504xxx   Mark III Camera 1"  for example, and that works properly in the caption field of the IPTC info.
But in the Info field in the preview it says " \504xxx\ " , meaning the code replacement has not occurred.

Kirk? should this work?  User error??? :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
Bob,

Not working for me...
my code replacement is "504xxx   Mark III Camera 1"  for example, and that works properly in the caption field of the IPTC info.
But in the Info field in the preview it says " \504xxx\ " , meaning the code replacement has not occurred.

Code Replacements are performed when expanding the Info Text.  If you want to send me your code replacement file and a sample image from one of your cameras bearing the serial numbers in your code replacement file, I'd be happy to see what it takes to get it to work.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 08:25:53 PM »
Bob,

Not working for me...

Code Replacements are performed when expanding the Info Text.  If you want to send me your code replacement file and a sample image from one of your cameras bearing the serial numbers in your code replacement file, I'd be happy to see what it takes to get it to work.

It turns out that there was indeed missing functionality on the Mac version in this regard.  I have modified the development version to have this functionality and it is working fine now.

You'll see this improvement in the 4.5.3 release, coming soon.

-Kirk

Offline Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 05:24:13 AM »
 ;)
cool...