Author Topic: IPTC Codes  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Bonechips

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC Codes
« on: September 13, 2007, 01:56:32 PM »
Is there an easy way to add iptc codes to PM?  I would have guessed that PM came with codes installed but it does not seem to be the case. I am not a programmer and reading the threads on this topic is like trying to read Egyptian in reverse!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC Codes
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 02:11:07 PM »
Is there an easy way to add iptc codes to PM?  I would have guessed that PM came with codes installed but it does not seem to be the case. I am not a programmer and reading the threads on this topic is like trying to read Egyptian in reverse!

What IPTC codes do you speak of?  If you can point me at a list of them, I should be able to help you out.

-Kirk

Offline Bonechips

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 03:54:19 PM »
When I open up the IPTC stationary pad and click on the drop down menus they are all empty. I am referring to the object, category, supp category fields etc.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 01:59:55 PM »
Bonechips, PM doesn't come with a predefined set of field settings (what would they have to put in?) so you have to vreate the contents yourself.  For this you have two possibilities:
1) you add content yourself (fill in the field, then use the save option of the drop-down arrow), or
2) import them from a text file (use the edit option and then choose import).

Hope this helps?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline riecks

• Beta Testers
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 11:39:55 AM »
Bonechips:

The new Structured Keywords (SK) dialog contains the full IPTC hierarchies for IPTC Subject, IPTC Scene, and IPTC Genre as part of the default set of keywords that I provided to Kirk as a sample of the Controlled Vocabulary Keyword Catalog (CVKC). You can use the SK to located the appropriate code and then copy and paste into the specified field. For the shorter ones, you might want to manually enter those if you are using them on a regular basis.

If there is enough interest, I'm sure Kirk would consider adding a few more options to the SK "Apply To: pull-down menu so that these specific IPTC fields can be managed from the SK dialog. Right now you can apply the collection of keywords to the Keyword or Caption field, but I don't believe there is any reason that more can't be added.

The full IPTC newscodes can be located (in several languages, BTW) at:

http://www.newscodes.org/

Hope that helps.

David