Author Topic: Batch renaming  (Read 10818 times)

Offline runner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Batch renaming
« on: September 13, 2007, 04:49:21 PM »
Hi
I'm wonding if the batch renaming needed some work doing on it, to improve it, I've just renamed a large number of images incorrectly, is it possible to undo this?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Batch renaming
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 07:25:20 PM »
I'm wonding if the batch renaming needed some work doing on it, to improve it, I've just renamed a large number of images incorrectly, is it possible to undo this?

No, not currently, but you can rename them again.  Please look at the bottom of the Rename dialog as it will show you how your images are going to be renamed.  If they don't look right, then don't rename them.  Edit until you get what you like and then do the final rename.

-Kirk

Offline runner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 08:25:22 AM »
Thanks Kirk
It would  help if i could see more or all of new names, i guess the latter's not practical.
That apart I'm very happy with PM, it's been a really good buy.

Offline jhart

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 09:29:35 AM »
When after renaming the files is it possible to have the original file number saved somewhere in the IPTC data?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 09:33:48 AM »
When after renaming the files is it possible to have the original file number saved somewhere in the IPTC data?

You can use the IPTC Stationery Pad to put the {frame} variable in any field you like, and then do the renaming.

-Kirk

Offline mzachs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • MagicalPhotos.com
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 09:54:24 PM »
Hi Kirk,
I would love to see a find and replace feature for renaming files.

For example my original files are _ZAX1234 and I want the renamed file to be Example-1234 as apart of my work flow. Is there a way in PM to accomplish this without find and replace? I currently use another program to search for _ZAX and replace with Example- to get Example-1234 as my final renamed files.

It has been a while since I've been back here because PM has been running so very smoothly for me and continues to impress people I demonstrate it for. I often get asked how I can look at pictures that fast and I of course tell them it is the software.

For example recently the Apple Store sales people in Miami Beach, who know me and my photo work, were trying to get me to use Apple's Aperture but when I showed them the speed of which I edit, mark and sort pictures in PM they agreed I can't do that not nearly as fast in Apeture.

Sincerely, Mitchell Zachs
MacBook Pro intel 2.33 MHz processor running Tiger OS 10.4.10

Thanks again for such a great product and support.

Sincerely, Mitchell Zachs
http://www.MagicalPhotos.com/
MacBook Pro intel 2.33 MHz processor running Tiger OS 10.4.10
Hope this helps,

Mitchell Zachs
MAC OS 10.12.2, on a MacBook Pro Retina 2.33 Ghz Intel Core i7

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 10:02:05 PM »
Mitchell,

I would love to see a find and replace feature for renaming files.

For example my original files are _ZAX1234 and I want the renamed file to be Example-1234 as apart of my work flow. Is there a way in PM to accomplish this without find and replace? I currently use another program to search for _ZAX and replace with Example- to get Example-1234 as my final renamed files.

Well you can use a new feature of 4.5.x called variables substring extraction.  Here is what you would do for your example (enter the following as your Rename string):

Example-{filenamebase:-4}

The above extracts the last four characters of the filename and prepends 'Example-' onto it.  You can look at the bottom of the Rename dialog to see how the rename is going to work for a few of your selected images.  If everything looks good, then do the rename.

Quote from: mzachs
It has been a while since I've been back here because PM has been running so very smoothly for me and continues to impress people I demonstrate it for. I often get asked how I can look at pictures that fast and I of course tell them it is the software.

For example recently the Apple Store sales people in Miami Beach, who know me and my photo work, were trying to get me to use Apple's Aperture but when I showed them the speed of which I edit, mark and sort pictures in PM they agreed I can't do that not nearly as fast in Apeture.

Great! That's so good to hear.

-Kirk

Offline mzachs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • MagicalPhotos.com
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 10:42:03 PM »
Wow, so cool. Works so easy so fast.

One just put's
Example-{filenamebase:-4}
in the renaming window.

All I now have to is to replace the "example" word with the file name I want.

On my computer it took about 4 seconds to rename 500 JPEGS sized about 1.5 megs each.

Thanks again,
Hope this helps,

Mitchell Zachs
MAC OS 10.12.2, on a MacBook Pro Retina 2.33 Ghz Intel Core i7