Author Topic: PM IPTC stationery blows away Adobe Camera Raw settings?  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Robert Catto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM IPTC stationery blows away Adobe Camera Raw settings?
« on: September 22, 2007, 05:09:32 PM »
Hi folks - just trying to work something out here, using the current demo version (4.5.2) I went to a folder of already-downloaded .cr2 files from my 1DMkIII, which had already been corrected in Adobe Camera Raw and were ready for conversion.  I applied an IPTC Stationery Pad to them, and went back to Bridge / ACR, to find that the entire collection had been reset to the ACR default values, with a fixed colour balance applied to the lot of them - all my corrections were gone, and had to be rebuilt from scratch.

I haven't found anything in the previous posts about this (apologies if it's been covered before), but obviously it was a huge headache for me as this meant hours of work on hundreds of files had to be re-done in a huge hurry - can anyone explain where it all went wrong?  Is it something to do with embedding IPTC in the file as opposed to the .xmp sidecar, would that have 'merged' the new IPTC data with the existing conversion settings?

Thanks,
R

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM IPTC stationery blows away Adobe Camera Raw settings?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 05:35:35 PM »
Hi folks - just trying to work something out here, using the current demo version (4.5.2) I went to a folder of already-downloaded .cr2 files from my 1DMkIII, which had already been corrected in Adobe Camera Raw and were ready for conversion.  I applied an IPTC Stationery Pad to them, and went back to Bridge / ACR, to find that the entire collection had been reset to the ACR default values, with a fixed colour balance applied to the lot of them - all my corrections were gone, and had to be rebuilt from scratch.

I haven't found anything in the previous posts about this (apologies if it's been covered before), but obviously it was a huge headache for me as this meant hours of work on hundreds of files had to be re-done in a huge hurry - can anyone explain where it all went wrong?  Is it something to do with embedding IPTC in the file as opposed to the .xmp sidecar, would that have 'merged' the new IPTC data with the existing conversion settings?

With Adobe apps, it is best to use XMP sidecars only, or at the very most embed IPTC only, don't embed XMP.  You haven't lost any work at all.  Just use the "Revert TIFF-based RAW to original..." command on the Tools menu.  And in your case, be sure to set the "Backup IPTC/XMP to XMP sidecar files" checkbox to checked.  This will copy your current caption into your existing XMP sidecar files and should not change any of your adjustment settings.

Then adjust your settings to look like these:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Robert Catto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM IPTC stationery blows away Adobe Camera Raw settings?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 05:48:43 PM »
Cheers Kirk - sadly I've redone it all, so it's too late to save that one, but at least I can prevent it happening again!  Thanks,
R