Author Topic: Ingesting sometime work?  (Read 10627 times)

Offline Ziggy487

• View Profile
Ingesting sometime work?
« on: September 23, 2007, 05:07:10 AM »
I have set up that when I put a CF card into my computer that it will open PM, well it works for the 1 and 2 gb cards, but not for the 4?  Also this is only when working with Windows, not Mac.  Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Chris

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Ingesting sometime work?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 07:10:14 AM »
Now you come to mention it; it doesn't work for me either.  No matter what card size, or whether or not I have it launch the ingest dialog or show the files in a contact sheet.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 07:38:22 AM »
Chris,

I have set up that when I put a CF card into my computer that it will open PM, well it works for the 1 and 2 gb cards, but not for the 4?  Also this is only when working with Windows, not Mac.  Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Windows uses a scheme called 'AutoPlay' which must be configured to work properly.  AutoPlay is unfortunately a very complicated unreliable system that Microsoft implemented more than once and in my opinion still isn't right.  There are some Windows computers that will never work with AutoPlay.  Microsoft even wrote a 'Wizard' to help get AutoPlay working properly and even it doesn't work all of the time.

That said, the procedure is to mount your card, then open a Windows Explorer window, right-click on the card, choose Properties from the contextual menu, then click the AutoPlay tab.  Then configure it to use Photo Mechanic.  Then OK the dialog.

Next remove the card and wait a few moments.  Then reinsert the card and if AutoPlay works properly, PM will be launched and it will do as you asked it to do.

If that doesn't work, then here is the link to the AutoPlay Repair Wizard:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C680A7B6-E8FA-45C4-A171-1B389CFACDAD&displaylang=en

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 08:27:54 AM »
Well, in my case this explains it then; I have autoplay disabled completely (just hate the thing).  I was counting on it to work when I had PM open though.  If this is the expected behaviour, this is fine by me too.

Cheers.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 10:03:52 AM »
Well, in my case this explains it then; I have autoplay disabled completely (just hate the thing).  I was counting on it to work when I had PM open though.  If this is the expected behaviour, this is fine by me too.

If AutoPlay is disabled, then yes this is expected behavior.

-Kirk

Offline Ziggy487

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 08:19:13 PM »
Sadly went to microsoft site, got to auto fix program and it said it couldn't fix.  oh well.  still love this program...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 09:07:47 PM »
Sadly went to microsoft site, got to auto fix program and it said it couldn't fix.  oh well.  still love this program...

We have a system at our office that does the same thing with the AutoPlay Repair Wizard.

Great eh?  Even reinstalling the OS doesn't fix it.

-Kirk