Author Topic: AppleScripting Photo Mechanic  (Read 46462 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
AppleScripting Photo Mechanic
« on: May 31, 2006, 08:44:07 AM »
Hello everyone,

I wanted to get feedback from you all about things you would like to be able to do with AppleScript and Automator using Photo Mechanic.

Photo Mechanic has a lot of power in it, and providing it through scripting rather than just via Photo Mechanic's UI could be even more powerful and efficient.

Thanks,

-Kirk

P.S. Window's users: to my knowledge there is no equivalent to AppleScript on Windows.  But don't be disappointed, we plan to provide another form of scripting that will be cross-platform compatible.  This thread is just about scripting Photo Mechanic via AppleScript.

Offline Colin Hackley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: AppleScripting Photo Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 09:29:06 AM »
Can I suggest synching captions between raw files processed in C1? I have no clue how this would be done, but it would be really nice to be able to process raw pictures and have all the IPTC info show up on the other side somehow.

Basic workflow involved here: Ingest > caption all images > copy selected images > process selects in C1 > copy captions from selects files to processed files.

Thanks - Scott

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 10:23:39 AM »
Can I suggest synching captions between raw files processed in C1? I have no clue how this would be done, but it would be really nice to be able to process raw pictures and have all the IPTC info show up on the other side somehow.

Basic workflow involved here: Ingest > caption all images > copy selected images > process selects in C1 > copy captions from selects files to processed files.

Thanks - Scott

You mean to say that C1 doesn't put the captions contained in the RAW files into the processed images?  Wow.

If the RAW photo and the processed file (JPEG) have the same name, you can join them together and then sync their captions with Photo Mechanic by using the "Update IPTC/XMP..." tool on the Tools menu.  Just choose to read the IPTC/XMP from the RAW file and it will be synchronized to the JPEG of the pair.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 12:28:43 PM »
Kirk-

I want to be able to automate several of my workflows...but it's hard to describe.
Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713

Offline grather

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Gary Rather Photo
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 05:32:38 PM »
Why not use Javascript instead of AppleScript.

Photoshop lets use use AppleScript or Javascript on mac
VirtualBasic or Javascript on windoze.

Javascript should be cross platform independent.

I use it quite a bit in scripting photoshop.

Gary

Offline RobertE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 04:27:53 AM »
Hi,

IIRC Javascript is less efficient and doesn't let you interact with the operating system. Applescript and VB Script works for me. Kirk?

Stuff I'd like to do is customise the Ingest, write to IPTC, and communicate with other apps (like iView, Photoshop, DNG Converter, EXIFtools, Excel), make selections based on certain parameters (e.g. color class, EXIF, etc).

That enough to start? :)

-- Robert.

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 05:52:20 AM »
I would like a script that enabled me to save files to a transmission folder and then ftp,ed files as they were saved to the folder.
I can do it now usinf Automator and Transmit, but why not use PM ;)

Offline ktudahl

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 07:38:25 AM »
I too would love to be able to save my edited & captioned images to a "hotfolder", and have those images automatically transmitted via PhotoMechanic's FTP. Is this already possible?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 08:37:05 AM »
I too would love to be able to save my edited & captioned images to a "hotfolder", and have those images automatically transmitted via PhotoMechanic's FTP. Is this already possible?

No, it is not currently possible.

-Kirk

Offline Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 01:23:24 PM »
Am I missing something here? Doesn't "ftp as" save the edited and captioned photo in a folder and automatically ftp those files from within PM now? That's what I do every day....

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 01:50:07 PM »
Am I missing something here? Doesn't "ftp as" save the edited and captioned photo in a folder and automatically ftp those files from within PM now? That's what I do every day....

What he wants to do is have a folder that when files are copied to it, they are FTP transmitted automatically.

-Kirk

Offline oreixa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • www.rallyes.net
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 03:53:44 AM »
I would like the option to define actions, and then apply them when needed to a bunch of photos. For example:

Upload a two versions of a photo (low res and high res, each on its own directory) to a ftp, applying cropping and all the usual options.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 06:23:20 AM »
I would like the option to define actions, and then apply them when needed to a bunch of photos. For example:

Upload a two versions of a photo (low res and high res, each on its own directory) to a ftp, applying cropping and all the usual options.

And you would want to write AppleScript code for this?

-Kirk

Offline oreixa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • www.rallyes.net
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 06:54:48 AM »
Not sure if that needs applescript, but I would like that funcionality.

Offline whatmicah

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 02:15:08 PM »
I would really like to be able to use the Ingest feature of PM, and its IPTC templates for importing images automatically. This could be done via "hot folders" or something automated, but the point is I would like it to be implemented through Automator or AppleScript. This could also be triggered via ImageCapture I would think.

Some type of send to Aperture feature would be nice as well. Something that would allow me to use PM's ingest function, and eventually send the shoot as a new project into Aperture.

-m