Author Topic: Missing email attachments in hotmail  (Read 6070 times)

Offline scregl@gmail.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Missing email attachments in hotmail
« on: September 23, 2007, 03:55:54 PM »
The "send photos via e-mail" command didn't seem to give me any choice to use my gmail email account.

Every time I try to use the command, it opens an Internet Explorer window to the "Connect to login.passport.com" logon page. So I opened a new hotmail email account.  This finally resulted in the email message from the PhotoMechanic "send photos via e-mail" command to appear as a message I could send. The email addressees, the subject and the message text were all correct.

However, no photos were attached to the hotmail message. I tried this with one highlighted thumbnail and the right-click menu and with several highlighted thumbnails. 

I even installed Outlook Express as my default email program, but PhotoMechanic continues to select the "login.passport.com" window in IE.

I'd really like to use the email function as it is more convenient (and can easily a watermark) than bringing up Photoshop to resize and opening an email progam to send the image(s).

How do I get the photos to attach to the hotmail email system?   :'(

Hotmail will let me attach photo files, but it doesn't have the same function as the PhotoMechanic command for sizing the images easily.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Missing email attachments in hotmail
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 04:19:05 PM »
The "send photos via e-mail" command didn't seem to give me any choice to use my gmail email account.

Every time I try to use the command, it opens an Internet Explorer window to the "Connect to login.passport.com" logon page. So I opened a new hotmail email account.  This finally resulted in the email message from the PhotoMechanic "send photos via e-mail" command to appear as a message I could send. The email addressees, the subject and the message text were all correct.

However, no photos were attached to the hotmail message. I tried this with one highlighted thumbnail and the right-click menu and with several highlighted thumbnails. 

I even installed Outlook Express as my default email program, but PhotoMechanic continues to select the "login.passport.com" window in IE.

I'd really like to use the email function as it is more convenient (and can easily a watermark) than bringing up Photoshop to resize and opening an email progam to send the image(s).

How do I get the photos to attach to the hotmail email system?   :'(

Hotmail will let me attach photo files, but it doesn't have the same function as the PhotoMechanic command for sizing the images easily.

Photo Mechanic on Windows uses Microsoft's MAPI (Mail Application Programming Interface) to talk to MAPI-capable email clients.  If your email client is web-based and has no capability to be used from something like Outlook or Outlook Express then it just isn't going to work.

Since you have installed Outlook Express, you should now be able to configure it to be your MAPI client.  Here are some instructions from Microsoft:

Configure Outlook Express to Be the Default Simple MAPI Client
To configure Outlook Express to be the default simple MAPI client:
1.   Start Outlook Express.
2.   On the Tools menu, click Options.
3.   On the General tab, click to select both of the following check boxes:
•   Make Outlook Express my default e-mail program
•   Make Outlook Express my default Simple MAPI client
Note The following message is displayed when you click to select the Make Outlook Express my default Simple MAPI client check box:
Enabling Outlook Express as your Simple MAPI provider will allow you to send documents from other programs by using the Send command on the File menu. You should do this if Outlook Express is the only mail program you use.

Other MAPI-enabled applications such as Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Outlook, and Windows Messaging will be disabled if you make Outlook Express your Simple MAPI client, but they will work again when you cancel the selection of this option.

Are you sure you want to set Outlook Express as your Simple MAPI client?

If this is acceptable to you, click OK to dismiss the message.
4.   Click OK.
5.   Restart Windows.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline scregl@gmail.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Missing email attachments in hotmail
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 07:18:37 AM »
Kirk,

Thanks much for your prompt and detailed reply. The good news is that the "send photo by email command" is now working as I had hoped.  The command's message and attachment are now going through Outlook Express. :)

The bad new is that I spend some time looking for the MAPI settings for Outlook Express. It was nowhere to be found. It was not on the Tools/Options/General tab, any other tab or in the help files.  I am running Outlook Expresss v 6.00.2900.2180 which I just updated to get latest security updates. The Microsoft online help also did not seem to have any MAPI advice for Outlook Express. Perhaps this applies to the paid version of Outlook? A screen shot of my Outlook Express tools/option/general tab is attached (- if I did the attachment option correctly)

My suspicion is that my several attempts to set Outlook Express as the defaul email finally took after a re-boot.

No need to reply, I'm good and very appreciative of your response, even though it seems like I lucked out.

[attachment deleted by admin]