Author Topic: Program freezes when Minolta files are in folder  (Read 10429 times)

Offline baidinc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Program freezes when Minolta files are in folder
« on: September 23, 2007, 04:38:24 PM »
Hi.  Whenever I go to view my folders and cd/dvds if Photo Mechanic encounters a Minolta raw file or possibly the .mov movie file from the Minolta camera it freezes and I must close out of the program, restart and be certain to avoid that folder.  Can anything be done to stop this behaviour?  I have many pictures archived as well as I still use my Minolta cameras as well as my Canons.  Thanks. Carol

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Program freezes when Minolta files are in folder
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 08:40:31 PM »
Carol,

Hi.  Whenever I go to view my folders and cd/dvds if Photo Mechanic encounters a Minolta raw file or possibly the .mov movie file from the Minolta camera it freezes and I must close out of the program, restart and be certain to avoid that folder.  Can anything be done to stop this behaviour?  I have many pictures archived as well as I still use my Minolta cameras as well as my Canons.  Thanks. Carol

What OS are you running?
What version of Photo Mechanic are you using?
What version of QuickTime do you have installed?

-Kirk

Offline baidinc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 10:58:10 AM »
When I open the folder with a .mov in it, the jpegs display up until the point when it is working on a .mov, the mrw display as text of the format (which is fine...but wish PM supported that format!) and then it stops or if I click I get the popup End Program-Phot Mechanic, program is not responding ,and it is frozen.

I am running XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2
Photo Mechanic 4.5
Quick Time 7.2

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 12:15:34 PM »
When I open the folder with a .mov in it, the jpegs display up until the point when it is working on a .mov, the mrw display as text of the format (which is fine...but wish PM supported that format!) and then it stops or if I click I get the popup End Program-Phot Mechanic, program is not responding ,and it is frozen.

I am running XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2
Photo Mechanic 4.5
Quick Time 7.2

If you use the QuickTime viewer application, can it open up these movie files?  Or does it just hang too?

Basically we make a call into QuickTime to load the first frame of the movie and it sounds like it never returns from that task which in turn locks up Photo Mechanic.  It would be better if QuickTime would just fail and return an error.

-Kirk

Offline baidinc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 09:26:58 PM »
Quick Time will open and play the .mov files from windows explorer or upon opening Quick Time and then the file.  I changed the defaults to make Quick Time the default player.  Each thumbnail displays up until the .mov file and then the remainder of the folder stays in red text without thumbnails and if I click again it goes to the end program and I have to close Photo Mechanic with a right click from the task bar.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 06:48:28 AM »
Quick Time will open and play the .mov files from windows explorer or upon opening Quick Time and then the file.  I changed the defaults to make Quick Time the default player.  Each thumbnail displays up until the .mov file and then the remainder of the folder stays in red text without thumbnails and if I click again it goes to the end program and I have to close Photo Mechanic with a right click from the task bar.

I suggest then that you uninstall Photo Mechanic 4.5, download Photo Mechanic 4.5.2 and install it.  Hopefully that will solve the issue.  If not, then I'll need for you to upload one of your .mov files so I can try and reproduce it on my system.

-Kirk

Offline baidinc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 12:32:31 PM »
OK I did that, no difference.  Here's a .mov file,  http://download.yousendit.com/346E5E8874A07DB6 and also a .thm in case that might make any difference that those are in the folder next to the .mov files and do not get listed on Photo Mechanic.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 01:25:59 PM »
OK I did that, no difference.  Here's a .mov file,  http://download.yousendit.com/346E5E8874A07DB6 and also a .thm in case that might make any difference that those are in the folder next to the .mov files and do not get listed on Photo Mechanic.

Thanks for the sample.  I am able to reproduce the problem on my system and I will see what I can do.

-Kirk

Offline baidinc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 08:11:14 PM »
Thanks!

Offline baidinc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 03:30:17 PM »
Just checking back to see if you were able to make progress with this issue.  Would any additional files help with the troubleshooting?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 04:10:24 PM »
Just checking back to see if you were able to make progress with this issue.  Would any additional files help with the troubleshooting?

Give the 4.5.3 beta a try.  I added some exception handling to the QuickTime code in the 4.5.3 version.  You can get the beta from the Announcements section.

-Kirk

Offline baidinc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 03:38:04 PM »
Thanks Kirk.  OK I had a go at it with the new beta update and the folder no longer hangs when it gets to a .mov file.  All the supported .jpg format thumbnails appear, the .mrw title is displayed in place of those file thumbs and the .mov are blank white with title below.  Clicking on the titled .mov file will open white thumb to a large white display and right clicking on edit with and selecting QuickTime will open QuickTime and I can play the .mov file.  That is a huge improvement but not sure if that is where you want it to end. ?

My free updates download period ended in September and this beta will expire the end of October as you mentioned but I think it would be worthwhile to have this improvement, or should I wait? Are you are satisfied with the Quick Time handling?

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 04:31:58 PM »
Thanks Kirk.  OK I had a go at it with the new beta update and the folder no longer hangs when it gets to a .mov file.  All the supported .jpg format thumbnails appear, the .mrw title is displayed in place of those file thumbs and the .mov are blank white with title below.  Clicking on the titled .mov file will open white thumb to a large white display and right clicking on edit with and selecting QuickTime will open QuickTime and I can play the .mov file.  That is a huge improvement but not sure if that is where you want it to end. ?

My free updates download period ended in September and this beta will expire the end of October as you mentioned but I think it would be worthwhile to have this improvement, or should I wait? Are you are satisfied with the Quick Time handling?

You won't have any problem getting the final 4.5.3 version.  You will get the final 4.5.3 version with your current updates period.  The "birthdate" of 4.5.3 is the same date as 4.5.0 which you already are entitled to.

Am I satisfied with a white thumbnail?  No.  But since QuickTime is throwing back an exception to Photo Mechanic when PM asks QuickTime to render the file, there isn't much I can do about it.

It no longer hangs, and you can at least view it in the full QuickTime viewer.  That's the best it's going to get for now.

-Kirk

Offline baidinc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 10:07:42 AM »
I am glad to hear I will be able to get the update still, cool.  I think it is fantastic that the program no longer hangs and I can view the movie files.  I am a happy camper.  My thanks and kudos to you Kirk on taking your time and fixing this issue and responding so promptly!!! I really appreciate it. It's very heartening to have a developer support their software as you do. THANK YOU!  :)