Author Topic: Acting up after crash  (Read 4343 times)

Offline Froschphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Acting up after crash
« on: September 24, 2007, 12:54:39 PM »
Hello I'm using PM 4.5.2 on an macbook pro. I had a big crash with PM recently. After restart everything was reset to the factory defults also losing all the pulldown goodies I had for the IPTC stationary. I re-added most of them and got most things up and running as before, but have one nagging problem that I can't seem to solve. I use the following string in the cutline template that's applied on ingest: {dow}, {iptcmonthnameap} {day}, {year4}.

The strange thing is it's adding the wrong month, Aug. instead of Sept. First realized it when I had an editor IM me wondering if I'm living in the past as I have the wrong month :o.

I checked all my camera dates and time and they are correct as well as the date on the computer. Any thoughts on what else could be throwing off the month? I'm guessing some other preferences is changed and throwing it off, but can't figure out what.

I've done some Mac things such as resetting the PRAM and fixing permissions.

John Froschauer

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Acting up after crash
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 01:20:41 PM »
I think you are simply using the wrong variable, if you want to have the month of the image, use {monthnameap}.  {iptcmonthnameap} uses the date of the IPTC data, which is not necessarily the same...

Hope this helps.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Froschphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 01:52:15 PM »
I'll try, but I've been using the other one since late 2006 and it's worked up to now.

John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 02:10:52 PM »
John,

Hello I'm using PM 4.5.2 on an macbook pro. I had a big crash with PM recently. After restart everything was reset to the factory defults also losing all the pulldown goodies I had for the IPTC stationary. I re-added most of them and got most things up and running as before, but have one nagging problem that I can't seem to solve. I use the following string in the cutline template that's applied on ingest: {dow}, {iptcmonthnameap} {day}, {year4}.

The strange thing is it's adding the wrong month, Aug. instead of Sept. First realized it when I had an editor IM me wondering if I'm living in the past as I have the wrong month :o.

I checked all my camera dates and time and they are correct as well as the date on the computer. Any thoughts on what else could be throwing off the month? I'm guessing some other preferences is changed and throwing it off, but can't figure out what.

I've done some Mac things such as resetting the PRAM and fixing permissions.

If you open up the IPTC Info dialog for your photos, what does the Date widget show for the date?  Is it correct?  Or is it off by a month?

-Kirk

Offline Froschphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 04:00:38 PM »
Hi,

I'm guessing by widget you are talking of the info window on the side when you open a photo in preview. If so here's from yesterdays shoot with one of my bodies:

Date: 9/23/07
Time: 2:45:44 PM
Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark III . . .

Playing around today different body:
Date: 9/24/07
Time: 3:44:46 PM
Model: Canon EOS 5D . . .

So I did test as suggested by another reader changing from:
{dow}, {iptcmonthnameap} {day}, {year4}
to:
{dow}, {monthnameap} {day}, {year4}

and it does indeed give me this "Monday, Sept. 24, 2007."

When yesterday they were coming in as "Sunday, Aug. 23, 2007."

I'm just confused why the string with {iptcmonthnameap} worked for many many months until I had the crash.

John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 04:24:09 PM »
John,

I'm guessing by widget you are talking of the info window on the side when you open a photo in preview. If so here's from yesterdays shoot with one of my bodies:

Date: 9/23/07
Time: 2:45:44 PM
Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark III . . .

Playing around today different body:
Date: 9/24/07
Time: 3:44:46 PM
Model: Canon EOS 5D . . .

So I did test as suggested by another reader changing from:
{dow}, {iptcmonthnameap} {day}, {year4}
to:
{dow}, {monthnameap} {day}, {year4}

and it does indeed give me this "Monday, Sept. 24, 2007."

When yesterday they were coming in as "Sunday, Aug. 23, 2007."

I'm just confused why the string with {iptcmonthnameap} worked for many many months until I had the crash.

The date picker widget is in the IPTC Info dialog which you can get to from the Contact Sheet by clicking on the little 'i' button that appears when you put your mouse cursor over the image.  In the IPTC Info dialog is a date picker control/widget that allows you to choose a date for your IPTC data.  This date is completely separate from the modification date, creation date, and capture date of the photo.

{iptcmonthnameap} uses the IPTC date.  {monthnameap} uses the capture time of the photo.  So if the date in your IPTC data was a month behind then I would expect to see what you saw.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Froschphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 04:30:30 PM »
Ah got it thanks. At one time I had clicked the Today selection on there. I guess I missed that one post crash.

John