Author Topic: Still have Vista/PM blue screen problems???  (Read 2545 times)

Offline tomoc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Cloudview Images
Still have Vista/PM blue screen problems???
« on: September 24, 2007, 09:47:16 PM »
HI Kirk-

Hope you can point me to a trouble shoot area/idea.

I'm still unable to use PM on my new Vista machine. When I launch it, the first command is pretty normal, then each successive one completes slower and slower...eventually I wind up with the dreaded blue screen crash.

I used my recovery software to reinstall back to day one... I have all windows updates. I'm running Norton NIS with auto updates. I can't think of any application or hardware I run on this PC that is not on my others. The only application that crashes is PM (I use photoshop CS3, iView, MS expression media, faststone, Image PRint, IRfanview, iMatch, Kodak DCS photodesk, Nikon Capture along with Office etc.).

I have worked through most of my hardware looking to see if I have the latest drivers...mostly I did. The PC is a sony vaio AR570 with 4 gb ram. The other PCs are all Sony but run XP flavors (one desktop and the old laptop).

It's not the end of the world (hoping for a Vista SP1 to cure it) but I'm so compulsive that about once a week, I try running it again and eventually I'll corrupt something with the BSOD...

Any thoughts appreciated, folks...

cheers,

tom
Tom O'Connell
Cloudview Images

TomOC@earthlink.net
www.CloudViewImages.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Still have Vista/PM blue screen problems???
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 08:05:03 PM »
Tom,

Hope you can point me to a trouble shoot area/idea.

I'm still unable to use PM on my new Vista machine. When I launch it, the first command is pretty normal, then each successive one completes slower and slower...eventually I wind up with the dreaded blue screen crash.

I used my recovery software to reinstall back to day one... I have all windows updates. I'm running Norton NIS with auto updates. I can't think of any application or hardware I run on this PC that is not on my others. The only application that crashes is PM (I use photoshop CS3, iView, MS expression media, faststone, Image PRint, IRfanview, iMatch, Kodak DCS photodesk, Nikon Capture along with Office etc.).

I have worked through most of my hardware looking to see if I have the latest drivers...mostly I did. The PC is a sony vaio AR570 with 4 gb ram. The other PCs are all Sony but run XP flavors (one desktop and the old laptop).

It's not the end of the world (hoping for a Vista SP1 to cure it) but I'm so compulsive that about once a week, I try running it again and eventually I'll corrupt something with the BSOD...

Any thoughts appreciated, folks...

I have no solutions or really any idea why you are getting a BSOD but it is likely to be a driver issue or a Vista kernel issue.  Photo Mechanic is a user-level application and relies on the OS and its drivers to perform certain services.  Photo Mechanic is a high-performance heavily multi-threaded application that utilizes your system to its fullest.  That said, I am guessing that only when your system is pushed really hard does the driver/kernel issue rear its ugly head.

Hopefully the first service pack will solve your issue.

-Kirk