Author Topic: retaining old file names  (Read 7157 times)

Offline grosset

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
retaining old file names
« on: June 11, 2006, 04:53:54 AM »
The following quote came up on a list I'm on. With the authors permission, I'm posting it here as a feature request for PM, as this would also make my life a lot easier! Or can this already be done?

<My raw files are archived using a modified version of the camera's original filename. But, my clients would much prefer more meaningful filenames, does this sound familiar?

When they come back some weeks or months later and quote me a filename, I struggle to find the original raw.

Here's my simple workaround to the problem, if it helps anyone else, then the effort in posting was worth it.

Open a folder of images in Adobe Bridge. Select all the images to Rename, click Tools then Rename.

In the drop down boxes select: Text - enter new filename in next box. Click the + sign for another set of drop down boxes. Select Sequence Number - enter starting number - select 4 digits max.

There's a little box to cross which says "preserve filename in metadata", don't forget to cross this box.

That's it, in the above example all your files will be renamed "newfilename 0001 to "newfilenamexxxx"

If you look in the Metadata, File properties sub heading in Bridge, you will see the new filename and also the "Original preserved filename"

When you need to find the original raw file for the image "newfilename1234.jpg" use Edit, Find in Bridge, search for "newfilename1234" and the metadata will show you the origin preserved raw filename.>

simon

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
Re: retaining old file names
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 06:35:56 AM »
I always use the variable {filename} in the Object name box and  in the caption box when I ingest.
 Then I always have the original filename in the IPTC and can search for it.

HTH

Søren

Offline grosset

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: retaining old file names
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 09:41:53 AM »
Brillant Soren! many thanks.
Simon