Author Topic: Where did my keywords go on export?  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Todd Smith

• Newcomer
  • I love Photo Mechanic!
    • View Profile
    • Fine Art Photography
Where did my keywords go on export?
« on: October 02, 2007, 02:43:09 PM »
I just spent some time keywording my master TIF files.  I then used the "Save selected photos as" command to create web versions of my master files.  I want the keywords, captions, etc., which are unique for each master TIF file to be transferred to the new JPG images produced by the Save As command.  In the Save As dialog box, I tried checking and unchecking "Apply IPTC stationary" but it seemed to apply only my general IPTC copyright info (which is what was on the IPTC Stationary Pad at the time).  What I really want is to tranfer all of the metadata from the master file to the web jpg file exactly as it is.  Is this possible with Photo Mechanic?  Thanks.  Todd
Todd Smith Photography
P.O. Box 1802
Oroville, WA 98844
509-340-3505
http://www.toddsmithphotography.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Where did my keywords go on export?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 03:46:22 PM »
Todd,

I just spent some time keywording my master TIF files.  I then used the "Save selected photos as" command to create web versions of my master files.  I want the keywords, captions, etc., which are unique for each master TIF file to be transferred to the new JPG images produced by the Save As command.  In the Save As dialog box, I tried checking and unchecking "Apply IPTC stationary" but it seemed to apply only my general IPTC copyright info (which is what was on the IPTC Stationary Pad at the time).  What I really want is to tranfer all of the metadata from the master file to the web jpg file exactly as it is.  Is this possible with Photo Mechanic?

Yes, but definitely don't apply the IPTC Stationery Pad unless you're really sure what you're doing since you can easily replace all of the existing metadata with what is in the IPTC Stationery Pad.

It should just preserve your IPTC/XMP by default.  There is no setting that strips out IPTC and XMP metadata.

-Kirk

Offline Todd Smith

• Newcomer
  • I love Photo Mechanic!
    • View Profile
    • Fine Art Photography
Re: Where did my keywords go on export?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 04:17:26 PM »
Oh, no!!!  It looks like I inadvertently overwrote all of the keywords in the original master files when I checked "Apply IPTC Stationary" on export.  It wouldn't have been so bad, if I had checked the + box on the IPTC Stationary Pad next to keywords (to append them not replace).  Luckly, I hadn't spent any time on captions!! :) I won't be making that mistake again.

Todd
Todd Smith Photography
P.O. Box 1802
Oroville, WA 98844
509-340-3505
http://www.toddsmithphotography.com