Author Topic: Losing remembered contact sheets  (Read 6246 times)

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
Losing remembered contact sheets
« on: October 03, 2007, 03:43:23 PM »
I am constantly losing my Favorite's remembered folders after closing the app.  It is very annoying, of course, with complex lists of folders.  Is this a known bug?   I lose a particular remembered set of folders that I have been working for the past week, maybe every 3rd or 4th time or so that I close and reopen the app.  I don't know what specific process instigates this; I cannot reproduce it at will but it reproduces itself more than I would like  :'(

Neil

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Losing remembered contact sheets
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 04:25:21 PM »
Neil,

I am constantly losing my Favorite's remembered folders after closing the app.  It is very annoying, of course, with complex lists of folders.  Is this a known bug?   I lose a particular remembered set of folders that I have been working for the past week, maybe every 3rd or 4th time or so that I close and reopen the app.  I don't know what specific process instigates this; I cannot reproduce it at will but it reproduces itself more than I would like  :'(

Is it only Remembered (multi-folder) Favorites, or are just regular folders/drives lost as well?

-Kirk

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 02:51:18 AM »
Neil,
Is it only Remembered (multi-folder) Favorites, or are just regular folders/drives lost as well?

-Kirk

I think so but I am very unsure if regular folders disappear.  I do know that my list does not seem to accumulate and I do add things from time to time.  I just put a total of 5 regular folders in the favorites and I'll keep an eye on it.

There is a possible related issue here.  Whenever I double click a multi-folder remembered favorite, I get this message:

"One or more of the folders in the subfolder scan are already open as a contact sheet.  Operation Cancelled"

I get this dialog even if no contact sheets are currently displayed, so it doesn't make sense.  If I right click the remembered folder name and select "Open in New Contact Sheet" (with no contact sheets displayed) I also get this dialog.  If I right click and select "Open in Current Contact Sheet (with no contact sheet displayed) I DO NOT get this dialog.  Is this also a known bug/quirk?  I have assumed it's a quirk, but it's not normal then maybe I am building my remembered favorite incorrectly???

Neil

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 06:49:47 AM »
Neil,

I think so but I am very unsure if regular folders disappear.  I do know that my list does not seem to accumulate and I do add things from time to time.  I just put a total of 5 regular folders in the favorites and I'll keep an eye on it.

There is a possible related issue here.  Whenever I double click a multi-folder remembered favorite, I get this message:

"One or more of the folders in the subfolder scan are already open as a contact sheet.  Operation Cancelled"

I get this dialog even if no contact sheets are currently displayed, so it doesn't make sense.  If I right click the remembered folder name and select "Open in New Contact Sheet" (with no contact sheets displayed) I also get this dialog.  If I right click and select "Open in Current Contact Sheet (with no contact sheet displayed) I DO NOT get this dialog.  Is this also a known bug/quirk?  I have assumed it's a quirk, but it's not normal then maybe I am building my remembered favorite incorrectly???

That is not a known behavior to me.  Can you give me an example of a Remembered set of folders and then I'll make the same folder hierarchy on my system and try to reproduce the issue?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 07:11:43 AM »
Neil,

That is not a known behavior to me.  Can you give me an example of a Remembered set of folders and then I'll make the same folder hierarchy on my system and try to reproduce the issue?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Would it be bettter if I emailed registry.txt to you?  I believe that is a backup of the registry rebuilt on each app close?

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 08:04:43 AM »
Neil,

Would it be bettter if I emailed registry.txt to you?  I believe that is a backup of the registry rebuilt on each app close?

No, I'd rather just have a list of folders like so:

C:\
    Pictures
        Folder1
        Folder2
        etc.

And then tell me which folders in the list are part of your set of folders.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 09:36:32 AM »
OK, I set this up as a test...

K:\test
      \sub1
             \folder1
             \folder2
      \sub2
             \folder3
             \folder4

I clicked CTL+W until the contact sheet window was empty.
I put folder1 (first) and  then folder3 (last) in a remembered folders group.  I tried "Open In New Contact Sheet" and "Open in Current Contact Sheet" for the first folder selected (Folder1).  Both ways gave me that message.  I tried a number of different folders and always get the message, therefore it seems that it has nothing to do with specific folder selections.  I also tried 2 folders in competely different trees, with no common parent folders.  Same message.  I have no idea how NOT to get that message.

Neil

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 12:23:41 AM »
Neil,

OK, I set this up as a test...

K:\test
      \sub1
             \folder1
             \folder2
      \sub2
             \folder3
             \folder4

I clicked CTL+W until the contact sheet window was empty.
I put folder1 (first) and  then folder3 (last) in a remembered folders group.

Ok, so right at this point, did you close this set of folders that you made into a Remembered folder set?

Quote from: NeilR
I tried "Open In New Contact Sheet" and "Open in Current Contact Sheet" for the first folder selected (Folder1).  Both ways gave me that message.  I tried a number of different folders and always get the message, therefore it seems that it has nothing to do with specific folder selections.  I also tried 2 folders in competely different trees, with no common parent folders.  Same message.  I have no idea how NOT to get that message.

I am seeing some odd behavior in the Favorites.  I have made some fixes to the Favorites panel.  It is a bit slow going.  I didn't write it and the person who did is no longer working for us.

-Kirk

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 10:33:09 AM »
Neil,

Ok, so right at this point, did you close this set of folders that you made into a Remembered folder set?

-Kirk

I just rebuilt the remembered folder list, closed the open contact sheet, and double clicked it.  Got the message, as always.

I do understand that you cannot have the same folder opened in more than one contact sheet.  For all these tests I have no contact sheets open at all when I build the contact sheet for the remembered list, and no contact sheets open when I double click the remembered folder list.

Neil