Author Topic: PM to add database and RAW abilities?  (Read 3867 times)

Offline photographxgrl

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM to add database and RAW abilities?
« on: October 05, 2007, 03:09:10 PM »
Hello! Just wondering if it's true that Camera Bits is planning to ad a database and raw processor capabilities to Photo Mechanic and if so when is the estimated delivery date? Also, is there any word on how this will affect the price of PM?

At work I use PM as the hub of my workflow and then catalog all images into Cumulus (DAM software). I love Photo Mechanic's speed and the IPTC stationary and use it instead of Bridge.

At home though I'm trying to put together a better workflow and storage system and struggling to figure out if PM should be replaced by Lightroom or not and whether I'm going to still need something like Cumulus (MediaDex at home) either way. I would prefer to keep using PM as I love this app and feel very comfortable using it, but I have now started shooting mostly RAW and really like the idea behind Lightroom's ability to view and work on multiple RAW files in a way that feels better/faster than ACR. If PM can do it well, I would love to let PM handle RAW processing instead.

Not sure I love the idea of a database being added as that might slow down PM - I find Lightroom to be pretty slow. But I'd be very interested in hearing any available information on what might be coming down the pike.

Thanks!
Laura

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM to add database and RAW abilities?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 04:17:22 PM »
Laura,

Hello! Just wondering if it's true that Camera Bits is planning to ad a database and raw processor capabilities to Photo Mechanic and if so when is the estimated delivery date? Also, is there any word on how this will affect the price of PM?

At work I use PM as the hub of my workflow and then catalog all images into Cumulus (DAM software). I love Photo Mechanic's speed and the IPTC stationary and use it instead of Bridge.

At home though I'm trying to put together a better workflow and storage system and struggling to figure out if PM should be replaced by Lightroom or not and whether I'm going to still need something like Cumulus (MediaDex at home) either way. I would prefer to keep using PM as I love this app and feel very comfortable using it, but I have now started shooting mostly RAW and really like the idea behind Lightroom's ability to view and work on multiple RAW files in a way that feels better/faster than ACR. If PM can do it well, I would love to let PM handle RAW processing instead.

Not sure I love the idea of a database being added as that might slow down PM - I find Lightroom to be pretty slow. But I'd be very interested in hearing any available information on what might be coming down the pike.

I can't really comment as directly as you're looking for.  We are working on interesting and very useful features in PM but in today's marketplace we can't really give our competition any advance notice of what we're going to do next.

I can comment on the use of PM and Lightroom and say that many people use the two apps together and we have made great strides in PM 4.5.x to improve our interaction with Adobe's apps in regards to color labels, and star ratings.

-Kirk