Author Topic: Ingest selected only  (Read 5864 times)

Offline sdergar

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingest selected only
« on: October 06, 2007, 09:22:17 AM »
I'm curious about workflow and is it easier to copy all files to the hard drive then sort and pick through them or is it better to ingest only selected pics that I want to ingest.  Is there a way in ingest only pics that I select?  I tried however maybe I don't have the right buttons clicked on as it ingested the whole card.  Thanks...

Steven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest selected only
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 01:59:40 PM »
Steven,

I'm curious about workflow and is it easier to copy all files to the hard drive then sort and pick through them or is it better to ingest only selected pics that I want to ingest.  Is there a way in ingest only pics that I select?  I tried however maybe I don't have the right buttons clicked on as it ingested the whole card.  Thanks...

If you lock the images in the camera, there is an option in Ingest to copy only the locked files.  That may do what you're looking for.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 01:38:26 AM »
I suggest you ingest all to hdd then cull the bad / good shots. Browsing the card directly is certainly slower than on a hdd. And you might inadvertently delete some photos from the card that you didn't want. It's better to never touch the originals.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 03:53:00 AM »
And as Kirk noted, if you are in a hurry to transmit, you can tag your selects in camera using the lock button, and ingest only those, which makes it really faster. The files on your card are like your originals, you should preferably never touch those directly, only in camera.

Frantisek

Offline sdergar

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 08:46:40 AM »
Thanks for all your help.  I did a little test with my last assignment and have found HDD is faster and as good as screens on the back of cameras are getting you really can't tell until you get them on screen.  I guess it's ingest all then cull.  Thanks again...

Steven

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 11:26:03 AM »
Thanks for all your help.  I did a little test with my last assignment and have found HDD is faster and as good as screens on the back of cameras are getting you really can't tell until you get them on screen.  I guess it's ingest all then cull.  Thanks again...

Steven

Yes, that's the best way. But if I am in a hurry I often just 'tag' all photos in camera which look "good enough" (might be like 20 from a 200 photo card) during a pause in the action. I do ingest the whole card afterwards, but I can just hit F3 in PM and start culling without wading trough the complete trash photos :) Nice feature in PM is that when it ingests, it always ingests first the photos that are 'tagged' (locked in camera), so I can start working on the culling from selected right away. Then later I can look trough the untagged photos for good ones I missed.