Author Topic: Conflict between CD Burn and Mcafee  (Read 4196 times)

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
Conflict between CD Burn and Mcafee
« on: October 08, 2007, 05:13:55 AM »
I seem to be getting a conflict here, where the burn will just stop incrementing pct complete at some point.  If I disable Mcafee I don't have a problem.  Is this a known issue?  This seems to be related to explorer.exe because it gets hung up too, as well as anything that probably interfaces with explorer.  For example, I cannot open Services to stop jobs before I try to shut my machine down... and it does not always shut down properly when this happens.

I have used Nero 6 for years, and just upgraded to Nero 8 (latest and greatest just released).  Never seen this with Nero.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I don't like to turn off Mcafee in order to get something done.

Any other reports of this problem?  I know these thigns are sometimes configuration dependent and it may be some 3rd process or some app's integration into explorer that is causing the problem.

Regards,
Neil
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 05:47:34 AM by NeilR »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Conflict between CD Burn and Mcafee
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 06:56:48 AM »
Neil,

I seem to be getting a conflict here, where the burn will just stop incrementing pct complete at some point.  If I disable Mcafee I don't have a problem.  Is this a known issue?  This seems to be related to explorer.exe because it gets hung up too, as well as anything that probably interfaces with explorer.  For example, I cannot open Services to stop jobs before I try to shut my machine down... and it does not always shut down properly when this happens.

I have used Nero 6 for years, and just upgraded to Nero 8 (latest and greatest just released).  Never seen this with Nero.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I don't like to turn off Mcafee in order to get something done.

Any other reports of this problem?  I know these thigns are sometimes configuration dependent and it may be some 3rd process or some app's integration into explorer that is causing the problem.

We use a third-party library for disc burning since the one supplied by Microsoft is so poor in its feature set. It is called StarBurn and it is created by a company called RocketDivision.  Generally their software is fairly well-written and highly compatible but there are some folks using PM that have some puzzling problems when burning discs.  None are exactly like yours, but they are problems nonetheless.

I have never been able to reproduce any reported problems with any of our systems so I have been unable to address any issues.

Do you have any shell extensions installed on your system?

-Kirk

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 11:25:51 PM »
Neil,

-Kirk

I was afraid you'd ask  :-[

-ViewExif
- OPanda
- PKZip
- Winzip
- Funduc Search and Replace
- Wsftp
- iView Media Pro Import

Everything seems to add to the shell these days.

Neil

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 11:59:28 PM »
Neil,

I was afraid you'd ask  :-[

-ViewExif
- OPanda
- PKZip
- Winzip
- Funduc Search and Replace
- Wsftp
- iView Media Pro Import

Everything seems to add to the shell these days.

We don't ;)  We install a shell menu, but it doesn't extend the shell namespace.

Can you disable them one-by-one and see if burning capability improves?

-Kirk

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 12:25:24 AM »
I wasn't making the same distinction you were; I don't know what that stuff does to Explorer.

It would be very time consuming to go through that problem resolution regimen because it is very inconsistent.  I might make it all the way through a DVD or two, then have the 3rd fail.  Or maybe the first will fail.  I'll see what I can do.

Neil