Author Topic: extremely slow ingest  (Read 5556 times)

Offline pdlarry

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
extremely slow ingest
« on: October 08, 2007, 06:45:37 PM »
Yesterday 300 D200 NEF files took about 2.5 hours to ingest.  What am I doinig wrong?

XP with 1GB Pentium 4 laptop, about 3 yrs old.  Primary destination is 500GB USB drive externally (local drive too full).

The same files took about 5 minutes to copy to the same drive using drag and drop.

Now during ingest yesterday, I had the "open contact sheet during ingest" checked, and also apply IPTC and renaming files too.

What could cause it to be so slow?  Please help!!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: extremely slow ingest
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 07:42:26 PM »
Yesterday 300 D200 NEF files took about 2.5 hours to ingest.  What am I doinig wrong?

XP with 1GB Pentium 4 laptop, about 3 yrs old.  Primary destination is 500GB USB drive externally (local drive too full).

The same files took about 5 minutes to copy to the same drive using drag and drop.

Now during ingest yesterday, I had the "open contact sheet during ingest" checked, and also apply IPTC and renaming files too.

What could cause it to be so slow?  Please help!!

I have no idea why it would take that long.  What version of Photo Mechanic are you using?

-Kirk

Offline pdlarry

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 09:08:40 PM »

:(

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 11:01:38 PM »

Can you post a screen shot of your Ingest settings?  Use the Additional Options... link when you compose your message and you can upload a JPEG image.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline pdlarry

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 06:57:52 AM »
Kirk,

There's about 1GB left on the internal hard disk, and the cache settings are 512MB on the internal disk, reserve 100MB on the disk cache volume, and 64MB for memory cache.

Would these affect the ingest speed?  Can I use the external drive as disk cache instead?

Thank you.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 07:23:29 AM »
There's about 1GB left on the internal hard disk, and the cache settings are 512MB on the internal disk, reserve 100MB on the disk cache volume, and 64MB for memory cache.

Would these affect the ingest speed?  Can I use the external drive as disk cache instead?

You shouldn't let the main hard drive (that Windows is installed) on get that low on space.  Windows needs room for things like the swap file and other buffers in order to operate properly.

I suggest freeing up a couple of gigabytes.  There are programs you can get to help you visualize what is responsible for using large amounts of space on your drive(s).

How much RAM do you have?  You may be able to increase your Photo Mechanic Memory cache size and gain some real performance throughout your usage of PM.

-Kirk

Offline pdlarry

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 11:21:19 AM »
Ok, I'll try to free up some disk space on the main drive.  It's mostly images, of course, over 2/3 of the 60G drive...

What memory cache size would you recommend?  I have 1G of RAM.

Thanks!

Offline pdlarry

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 05:19:18 PM »
On a different platform with much more available hard disk, the same ingest task took only 6 minutes.

Yikes.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
On a different platform with much more available hard disk, the same ingest task took only 6 minutes.

Yikes.

That speed is more like what one would expect.

-Kirk