Author Topic: 4.5.3 running slow / hanging  (Read 35095 times)

Offline Eric

• View Profile
Re: 4.5.3 running slow / hanging
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 09:57:32 AM »
Kirk while the problem is still persisting I have noticed that in all the times that the program hangs crashes or has to be killed off the only error reporting being done is to Microsoft. I haven't seen PM want to send any error reports back to Camera Bits. Is there a cache that I should be wiping out after I kill the hung process? PM is hung right now opening a 'small' folder of about 1300 images.

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 10:06:17 AM »
Following up.

PM had been slowing down during an edit to the point that it was taking 10 or 20 seconds to move from preview to preview. I tried to shut down the program and it became unresponsive. Killed it off and restarted PM tried to open the folder 4-5 times each time the program would hang when the 2nd block was displayed in the sort progress. I followed a hunch and started PM and open a folder of TINY thumbnails (about9K in size). PM opened the folder. I was then able to close that folder and reopen the original folder that I was working in.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 10:50:53 AM »
Eric,

Following up.

PM had been slowing down during an edit to the point that it was taking 10 or 20 seconds to move from preview to preview. I tried to shut down the program and it became unresponsive. Killed it off and restarted PM tried to open the folder 4-5 times each time the program would hang when the 2nd block was displayed in the sort progress. I followed a hunch and started PM and open a folder of TINY thumbnails (about9K in size). PM opened the folder. I was then able to close that folder and reopen the original folder that I was working in.

Let's try going back to an older version of PM.  Version 4.4.3.3 was the most stable version of the 4.4.x series. You can get it from our download page.  Install that version and use it to do the same things.  Is it slow too?

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 11:34:02 AM »
OK I can do that. Should I delete 4.5.3 and if so can I just use the windows wizard to do the deleting or should I be wiping the directory manually? Anything to worry about in the registry that may new cleaning?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
OK I can do that. Should I delete 4.5.3 and if so can I just use the windows wizard to do the deleting or should I be wiping the directory manually? Anything to worry about in the registry that may new cleaning?

PM 4.5.3 and PM 4.4.3.3 should coexist with no problems.

So just install PM 4.4.3.3 in its default location.  Then use it to perform your tests.

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 12:11:30 PM »
Kirk,
I installed 4.4.3.3 and get a scripting engine fail to initialize (Reason: test 1:timeout.....)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2007, 12:40:47 PM »
I installed 4.4.3.3 and get a scripting engine fail to initialize (Reason: test 1:timeout.....)

That's odd.  In your Program Files/Camera Bits, Inc/ folder do you have a Photo Mechanic and a Photo Mechanic 4.5 folder?

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2007, 12:47:22 PM »
Yes I have both folders

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2007, 01:21:40 PM »
Yes I have both folders

Is there a 'ruby' folder in the Photo Mechanic folder?  If so, does the ruby folder contain a lib folder?

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2007, 04:56:37 PM »
yes to both

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2007, 05:11:26 PM »
yes to both

I think I'll just need to call you on the phone.  Can you send me a personal message (click on my name to the left of this message) and leave me your number and a best time to call?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2007, 05:41:30 PM »
Number sent, working VERY late tonight   :-[

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 10:11:19 AM »
Number sent, working VERY late tonight   :-[

Problem resolved.  I called Eric on the phone yesterday and the real issue is a lack of RAM for the currently running apps: Photo Mechanic, DreamWeaver, Photoshop, FireFox, and Outlook.

DreamWeaver appeared to be the biggest memory hog, and it had racked up over 6 million memory page misses which was causing large amounts of Virtual Memory paging.

This explains why it was not appreciably faster to do a Filename sort than a Capture Time sort.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2007, 02:30:13 PM »
The directory listing is of only 5-7MB JPEGs which should render very quickly especially if they're on a local hard disk.

I had a similar hangup problem. PM actad similarly but I didn't take the time to measure delays and I was aware that my system is old, and not properly maintained (despite usual installs and uninstalls no registry clean, no defragment etc). So about a week ago I took time to install a new system on a new drive and speed is way over the previous, and PM is really fast, no need to wait for it so long.

I have no such problems yet but could you tell me how to solv a similar virtual memory paging issue next time without the complete reinstall of the system?

My other question has allready been answered in this forum but I cannot find it with the search engine. How can PM settings (all the snapshots, and dropdown menus) be transfered from one computer to the other? I remember the topic in which you answered it but am unable to find the entries and to recall the folder locations that need to be copied and what you wrote about some registry settings.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2007, 02:57:18 PM »
szurkebarat,

The directory listing is of only 5-7MB JPEGs which should render very quickly especially if they're on a local hard disk.

I had a similar hangup problem. PM actad similarly but I didn't take the time to measure delays and I was aware that my system is old, and not properly maintained (despite usual installs and uninstalls no registry clean, no defragment etc). So about a week ago I took time to install a new system on a new drive and speed is way over the previous, and PM is really fast, no need to wait for it so long.

I have no such problems yet but could you tell me how to solv a similar virtual memory paging issue next time without the complete reinstall of the system?

There are two solutions:

1) Run fewer programs at the same time.
2) Buy more RAM.

Quote from: szurkebarat
My other question has allready been answered in this forum but I cannot find it with the search engine. How can PM settings (all the snapshots, and dropdown menus) be transfered from one computer to the other? I remember the topic in which you answered it but am unable to find the entries and to recall the folder locations that need to be copied and what you wrote about some registry settings.

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=2198.msg10024#msg10024

-Kirk