Author Topic: Live slide show and problem with loading file too quickly  (Read 4404 times)

Offline vfnewman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Live slide show and problem with loading file too quickly
« on: October 09, 2007, 07:17:09 PM »
I was trying to use the "Live Slide Show" to load images as they were written to a directory by Adobe Lightroom.  However, it seems that a file appears in the directory before it's "fully written" by Lighroom.  PM tries to open the file as soon as it appears, causing a problem.  A message in red saying "Unsupported Format Variant" appears, and the image never loads.

I'm running the most recent stable release on Windoze XP Pro.

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Live slide show and problem with loading file too quickly
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 09:46:43 PM »
I was trying to use the "Live Slide Show" to load images as they were written to a directory by Adobe Lightroom.  However, it seems that a file appears in the directory before it's "fully written" by Lighroom.  PM tries to open the file as soon as it appears, causing a problem.  A message in red saying "Unsupported Format Variant" appears, and the image never loads.

I'm running the most recent stable release on Windoze XP Pro.

Is there any way to fix this?

What version of PM are you running?  What is the file format of the images being written by Lightroom?

-Kirk

Offline jimb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 05:56:13 AM »
You don't have to be using live slide show to experience what is described. With the Windows version of PMSetup4.5.3b1002.exe you can see this when you open or rescan a contact sheet for a folder of JPEGs being exported by LR. If you rescan, PM displays the thumbnail(s) correctly. PM tries to render the image from whatever is in the file at the time it is read, regardless of whether or not the JPG is complete.

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 07:17:47 AM »
You don't have to be using live slide show to experience what is described. With the Windows version of PMSetup4.5.3b1002.exe you can see this when you open or rescan a contact sheet for a folder of JPEGs being exported by LR. If you rescan, PM displays the thumbnail(s) correctly. PM tries to render the image from whatever is in the file at the time it is read, regardless of whether or not the JPG is complete.

Right. There is no 'signal' that one app can use to tell others when a file is complete and beyond that, some file formats are tricky to know when they are complete without completely parsing the file.

But I still want to know from the original poster what version of PM they are using, and what file format is being produced.

-Kirk

Offline vfnewman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 04:57:03 PM »
Sorry I didn't specify more clearly.  I'm running PM 4.5.2 and writing jpeg files from Lightroom.

Victor Newman