Author Topic: PSD files do not display ISO, Apeture and Shutter Speed in Contact Sheet  (Read 5071 times)

Offline stevieray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile

I have my preferences for the contact sheet set to display filenames plus on label.  The label is defined as;

{iso} {ss} f/{f}

When viewing raw files and jpg's, the line display correctly.  However, when I develop a raw file in photoshop and save the resulting psd file, the label line displays f/ and that is all.  I am using CS3 to develop the raw files and save the psd.

Thanks.

M.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PSD files do not display ISO, Apeture and Shutter Speed in Contact Sheet
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 09:55:52 PM »

I have my preferences for the contact sheet set to display filenames plus on label.  The label is defined as;

{iso} {ss} f/{f}

When viewing raw files and jpg's, the line display correctly.  However, when I develop a raw file in photoshop and save the resulting psd file, the label line displays f/ and that is all.  I am using CS3 to develop the raw files and save the psd.

The PSD files no longer contain the original EXIF data from the camera so there is no value for those variables.

-Kirk

Offline stevieray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 11:03:43 PM »
When I load the file in CS3, and then select File Info from the File menu and then select the Camera Data 1 tab I see the correct values for ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture.  Wouldn't that indicate that the PSD file does contain the EXIF data?

Offline stevieray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 11:04:55 PM »
I should also point out that when I use the PSD file to generate a JPG file, the JPG file contains the shutter speed, aperture and iso too.

M.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 12:26:22 AM »
When I load the file in CS3, and then select File Info from the File menu and then select the Camera Data 1 tab I see the correct values for ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture.  Wouldn't that indicate that the PSD file does contain the EXIF data?

It would indicate that somehow they are storing that information, but it may not be in EXIF format.

-Kirk

Offline stevieray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 09:23:41 PM »
Wow, you guys are tough to convince.  I would not take the time to report these issues if they were not real.  I have attached a screenshot of the *EXIF* data as listed by CS3.  Under the EXIF data, it clearly shows data for shutter speed, aperture, and iso.  To view this information yourself, load a psd image into CS3, then select File->File Info, then select the advanced tab. and final expand the EXIF data.  Or, do I need to open a defect with Adobe?

Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 11:19:40 PM »
Wow, you guys are tough to convince.  I would not take the time to report these issues if they were not real.  I have attached a screenshot of the *EXIF* data as listed by CS3.  Under the EXIF data, it clearly shows data for shutter speed, aperture, and iso.  To view this information yourself, load a psd image into CS3, then select File->File Info, then select the advanced tab. and final expand the EXIF data.  Or, do I need to open a defect with Adobe?

I never said your issue wasn't real.  The data is stored in the XMP metadata which we do not parse for EXIF data.  It is not a defect in either program.  Photo Mechanic just does not display EXIF data listed as various XML tags in XMP metadata.

We know it is there.  We preserve it when we rewrite the XMP metadata during IPTC updates.  We just don't use it for shooting data.  We could do so, but we do not yet have plans to do it.

I hope this explains things better than my last response.

-Kirk

Offline stevieray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 09:25:52 AM »
It does, thank you. 

What format is the best intermediary format to use when developing RAW files?  I usually convert the RAW image to PSD to work with it in PS and use it for the archive format once complete.  When my edits are complete, I generate different size jpegs, with and without framing for use on the web, screensavers, etc....  Would it be better to save the edited photos in TIFF?  Some other format maybe?

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 10:06:44 AM »
It does, thank you. 

What format is the best intermediary format to use when developing RAW files?  I usually convert the RAW image to PSD to work with it in PS and use it for the archive format once complete.  When my edits are complete, I generate different size jpegs, with and without framing for use on the web, screensavers, etc....  Would it be better to save the edited photos in TIFF?  Some other format maybe?

I would recommend TIFF.  It is a well documented standard format that does not require proprietary rendering engines to view.  It has a variety of lossless and lossy compression capabilities.  It is also capable of retaining EXIF data.

NOTE: if you're going to compress your TIFFs with zip compression, then use non-planar format (also known as 'chunky') since PM cannot decode zip-compressed planar TIFF files at this time.

-Kirk