Author Topic: Acutation Variable for Canon 1D Mark III  (Read 7071 times)

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
    • Dwight McCann Digital Imagery
Acutation Variable for Canon 1D Mark III
« on: October 15, 2007, 03:42:59 PM »
I put actuations into my IPTC data but there doesn't seem to be support for my Canon 1D Mark III.  I expect to have a 1Ds Mark III by year's end and would like an actuation variable for that also. The 1D Mark II and 1D Mark IIN seem to be fine.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: Acutation Variable for Canon 1D Mark III
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 04:09:25 PM »
These actuation numbers seem to be a hard case with manufacturers. My Canon servicemen say the camera doesn't include the actuation number in the image files, and the actuation number they can read from the body with their manufacturer software is way different that PM gives as actuation number. So don't rely too much on this value. It is not necessarily true.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 08:36:35 PM »
Dwight,

I put actuations into my IPTC data but there doesn't seem to be support for my Canon 1D Mark III.  I expect to have a 1Ds Mark III by year's end and would like an actuation variable for that also. The 1D Mark II and 1D Mark IIN seem to be fine.

Please try PM 4.5.3 beta 2 with your 1D Mk. III.  And yes, szurkebarat is right in that the 'actuation count' isn't always accurate.  Its accuracy can depend on the firmware version and whether camera settings have been copied from one camera to another.  The only truly accurate count can only be obtained by Canon service personnel.

-Kirk

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
    • Dwight McCann Digital Imagery
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 10:19:25 AM »
That's too bad ... I was under the impression that the actuation counts were available for the 1D bodies although not for the non-professional bodies and that they were accurate. I know my 5D does not expose the actuations.  Anyway, I keep my firmware up-to-date and don't cross-load settings, if that makes them more accurate. I'll give 5.4.3.2 a shot when I get a chance, thanks!