Author Topic: Newbie: IPTC Insertion for ALL, selected in folder, and individual images.  (Read 12068 times)

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
    • Dwight McCann Digital Imagery
New to PM. New to IPTC.  I am about to shoot a boxing card.  There will be six or eight bouts.  I want to import the data to a single folder on Windows. I would like to embed IPTC data.  I would like to get my personal identification into every image (perhaps when downloaded from P2000) and later add information to groups of images from the same bout with the boxers names, etc.  I may then want add captions to individual images.  I am not sure how to do this properly (or at all).  I have set the "Stationary IPTC" with my personal information and think I can apply to all images in a folder, but don't see how to set/update IPTC so that I can "update" groups or individuals.  I expect I have some basic misconception about how this should work. Eventually I will be uploading to PhotoShelter for potential buyers.

I hope this is clear.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
New to PM. New to IPTC.  I am about to shoot a boxing card.  There will be six or eight bouts.  I want to import the data to a single folder on Windows. I would like to embed IPTC data.  I would like to get my personal identification into every image (perhaps when downloaded from P2000) and later add information to groups of images from the same bout with the boxers names, etc.  I may then want add captions to individual images.  I am not sure how to do this properly (or at all).  I have set the "Stationary IPTC" with my personal information and think I can apply to all images in a folder, but don't see how to set/update IPTC so that I can "update" groups or individuals.  I expect I have some basic misconception about how this should work. Eventually I will be uploading to PhotoShelter for potential buyers.

When you ingest, setup your IPTC Stationery Pad to have your personal information like Photographer, Caption Writer, Copyright, etc.

All files ingested will now have this basic information in them.

Then select your groups of photos that have the same boxers in them.  Open up the IPTC Stationery Pad dialog and uncheck your personal information fields (no reason to apply them again) and then you need to decide what to write about the two boxers in the photo.  In the caption field, I would enter a common description that applies to the group.  Then check the checkbox next to the Caption field.  Apply the IPTC Stationery Pad to the selected photos by clicking on the "Apply Stationery to Selected" button.  Repeat this process for each group.

When you want to add minor amounts of differing information, you can select the photos that need the extra work, and then click on the 'i' button that appears when you move your mouse cursor over one of the selected photos.  This will bring up the IPTC Info dialog which is different in that it shows the individual IPTC data for a given photo.  In the IPTC Info dialog, you can navigate through your selected photos, updating them along the way.  Remember to use the "Save & ->" button to save your changes and advance.

You may also want to use the Keywords field to enter words like: boxing, match, welterweight, etc.  These can be batch captioned with the IPTC Stationery Pad too.

If you have lots of names of boxers to enter, you can use Code Replacement to speed things up.  Search the forums for Code Replacement to find some really good threads on the subject.

Once you have everything captioned/renamed/processed then you can upload the photos to PhotoShelter via PM's Upload to PhotoShelter feature.

HTH and feel free to ask more questions,

-Kirk

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
First, this is amazing support!  I have been computer programmer for 30 years (from mainframes to micros) and nobody has ever gotten back quicker or clearer ... there are a very rare few others that are also good.  I understand why Ed Mulholland and Gavin Ellis recommended you guys so strongly.  I will shoot tonight and try this.  My only other potential issue is non-Photoshop processing (Ulead PhotoImpact although I will be migrating to Photoshop) may destroy the IPTC ... I assume I can simply utilize the Stationary Pad and individual updates in the same manner on any jpeg? 

Again, thank you.  From first perusal of PM, purchase, delivery and support, my CameraBits experience has been flawless.   ;D If I have any issues in the path to PhotoShelter I will come back.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
First, this is amazing support!  I have been computer programmer for 30 years (from mainframes to micros) and nobody has ever gotten back quicker or clearer ... there are a very rare few others that are also good.  I understand why Ed Mulholland and Gavin Ellis recommended you guys so strongly.  I will shoot tonight and try this.  My only other potential issue is non-Photoshop processing (Ulead PhotoImpact although I will be migrating to Photoshop) may destroy the IPTC ... I assume I can simply utilize the Stationary Pad and individual updates in the same manner on any jpeg?

What I would do is test your full workflow on a set of sample images, that is, images you don't care about or are at least backups of images that you do care about.  At the end of the workflow, open up the IPTC Info for each final image and see if it has your captions in it.  If not, then make sure you have the offending program generate new files and don't overwrite your originals.

You could reapply the IPTC Stationery Pad, but it won't help you with those photos that you made very individual changes to (the ones that you couldn't do in a batch.)

Quote from: dwightmccann
Again, thank you.  From first perusal of PM, purchase, delivery and support, my CameraBits experience has been flawless.   ;D If I have any issues in the path to PhotoShelter I will come back.

Thank you for purchasing Photo Mechanic!

-Kirk

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
Well, after getting the info on the IPTC updates and feeling more relaxed, I naturally got side tracked with some of the other features that seemed less interesting ... until starting to experiment with production images ... all those color settings for ratings or categorizing seem so natural.  Being able to selected by rating and then delete or copy or whatever provides a lot of flexibility.  Anyway, I am happily working with the IPTC data although I didn't "ingest" this time as I don't want to work in too many variables.

FYI, in addition to 1700 boxing images, I am using PM to deal with a couple of hundred blackjack tournament images and then about 1000 Kool and the Gang concert images.  It is really nice having both processors frying ... the fans fire up as I move through the folders!