Author Topic: Problem assigning star ratings using keys  (Read 6528 times)

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
Problem assigning star ratings using keys
« on: October 16, 2007, 04:44:37 AM »
I'm having a slight problem assigning star ratings with the keys on Windows.  Alt-1 through Alt-5 are supposed to assign 1 through 5 stars.  Keys 1 through 5 (unmodified) assigns various color ratings.  Many times when I try to type Alt-1, a color gets assigned instead of a 1 star rating.  It appears that the way that PM handles the Alt key is a little different than other programs.  Through experimentation I have found that if I "press Alt, press 1, release 1, release Alt", it always works.  However, if I "press Alt, press 1, release Alt, release 1", PM interprets this as the 1 key without the Alt modifier.  When I type Alt-1 quickly, I am apparently accustomed to releasing both keys at about the same time.  Apparently with my way of typing, the release code for the Alt is sometimes sent by the keyboard before the release code for the 1 key.

I regularly use text editors and other programs that make heavy use of Alt and Ctrl key sequences, and I never have any problems with any of those misinterpreting the key sequences.  Would it be possible to fix PM's keystroke handling so that it can better recognize Alt-key combinations?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem assigning star ratings using keys
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 07:24:20 AM »
I'm having a slight problem assigning star ratings with the keys on Windows.  Alt-1 through Alt-5 are supposed to assign 1 through 5 stars.  Keys 1 through 5 (unmodified) assigns various color ratings.  Many times when I try to type Alt-1, a color gets assigned instead of a 1 star rating.  It appears that the way that PM handles the Alt key is a little different than other programs.  Through experimentation I have found that if I "press Alt, press 1, release 1, release Alt", it always works.  However, if I "press Alt, press 1, release Alt, release 1", PM interprets this as the 1 key without the Alt modifier.  When I type Alt-1 quickly, I am apparently accustomed to releasing both keys at about the same time.  Apparently with my way of typing, the release code for the Alt is sometimes sent by the keyboard before the release code for the 1 key.

I regularly use text editors and other programs that make heavy use of Alt and Ctrl key sequences, and I never have any problems with any of those misinterpreting the key sequences.  Would it be possible to fix PM's keystroke handling so that it can better recognize Alt-key combinations?

I can reproduce the behavior you're experiencing (though it is hard for me to 'train myself' to release the Alt key before the number key.)  PM is immediately recognizing the Alt-1 combination and is setting the star rating.  But when you release the Alt key and keep the 1 key down, (especially if you keep it down longer than your key repeat setting) then a "the '1' key is down" event is sent to PM which when you've got only a single item selected causes the color class to be set.  If you have two or more images selected then this won't happen at all.  There are another set of keyboard shortcuts that require only a single key to be held down when there is only one item selected.  By default, when a single item is selected and 1-8,0 are pressed, then the Color Class is set.  This can be changed such that when 1-5,0 are pressed then the Rating is set.

For you, setting the preference in the General tab of the Preferences dialog to be Ratings centric would eliminate this problem.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 12:49:09 PM »
Thanks for the pointer to the configuration option.  FYI, there is no way I am coming close to holding down the 1 key long enough for the keyboard's repeat to kick in.  When I type Alt-1, I sort of rock from my thumb on Alt to my index finger on 1, then off my thumb, then off my index finger, all in one motion.  The whole thing can't take more than a small fraction of a second.

As a side question, which rating system seems to be more prevalent?  I was heading toward using the stars thinking I would increase usability with Adobe's bridge, etc.  However, I'm finding the combination of PM and Capture NX to be adequate for much of my post processing.  I've noticed that the colors are quite easy to spot in quick scans in PM's browser, but the stars are harder to see.  Does PM's browser allow you to filter out by color like you can with the stars?  I don't have access right now to my machine with PM on it.

Thanks,
Danny

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 01:15:05 PM »
Danny,

Thanks for the pointer to the configuration option.  FYI, there is no way I am coming close to holding down the 1 key long enough for the keyboard's repeat to kick in.  When I type Alt-1, I sort of rock from my thumb on Alt to my index finger on 1, then off my thumb, then off my index finger, all in one motion.  The whole thing can't take more than a small fraction of a second.

As a side question, which rating system seems to be more prevalent?  I was heading toward using the stars thinking I would increase usability with Adobe's bridge, etc.  However, I'm finding the combination of PM and Capture NX to be adequate for much of my post processing.  I've noticed that the colors are quite easy to spot in quick scans in PM's browser, but the stars are harder to see.  Does PM's browser allow you to filter out by color like you can with the stars?  I don't have access right now to my machine with PM on it.

Yes, you can filter both Stars and Color Classes.  And both can be made compatible with Adobe Bridge.

-Kirk