Author Topic: Emailed JPEGs not Reflecting Edits  (Read 5150 times)

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
Emailed JPEGs not Reflecting Edits
« on: October 17, 2007, 12:11:05 PM »
Kirk: Of late, my emailed jpegs do not reflect edits made in Capture NX which they did previously. The edits are being saved in NX and the pix reflect the edits when viewed as thumbs or full screen size in PM or NX. Yet when I select them for emailing and they appear in the email program, they look exactly like the original unedited pic. I am using a Mac with OS X 10.4.10 and Mail as the email program and am on PM 4.5.2.

Attached is a screen shot of my mail settings. Look closely at NEFs 56 and 55, which are identical shots, except that 56 has been edited. Yet 56 will appear as 55 does, that is unedited, when selected. Are there any other screen shots you might need? Thanks, Richard

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Emailed JPEGs not Reflecting Edits
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 12:39:20 PM »
Richard,

Kirk: Of late, my emailed jpegs do not reflect edits made in Capture NX which they did previously. The edits are being saved in NX and the pix reflect the edits when viewed as thumbs or full screen size in PM or NX. Yet when I select them for emailing and they appear in the email program, they look exactly like the original unedited pic. I am using a Mac with OS X 10.4.10 and Mail as the email program and am on PM 4.5.2.

Attached is a screen shot of my mail settings. Look closely at NEFs 56 and 55, which are identical shots, except that 56 has been edited. Yet 56 will appear as 55 does, that is unedited, when selected. Are there any other screen shots you might need?

No.  Just don't tell PM to render the RAW if possible.  That will use Apple's rendering and not Capture NX's.

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 12:58:57 PM »
Kirk: I changed the When Using RAW from Render RAW if Possible to Use Embedded Preview for Speed. When the image came up in Mail, it looked unedited. I sent it to myself and when opened it still looked unedited. Anything else I should check? Thanks, Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 01:23:30 PM »
Richard,

Kirk: I changed the When Using RAW from Render RAW if Possible to Use Embedded Preview for Speed. When the image came up in Mail, it looked unedited. I sent it to myself and when opened it still looked unedited. Anything else I should check?

Do you have RAW+JPEG pairs?  Change the RAW+JPEG popup to be RAW.

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 04:02:08 PM »
Kirk: your last suggestion didn't do it, but when I when into the PM Preferences>RAW, I tried the various options. Unchecking the Enable RAW Rendering Using Apples' I/O did the trick. Is there anything else I should be looking for? This proves conclusively that even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then. Thanks again for the great support. Kirk for Pres 08!! Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 10:22:08 PM »
Richard,

Kirk: your last suggestion didn't do it, but when I when into the PM Preferences>RAW, I tried the various options. Unchecking the Enable RAW Rendering Using Apples' I/O did the trick. Is there anything else I should be looking for? This proves conclusively that even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then. Thanks again for the great support. Kirk for Pres 08!!

You shouldn't have had to have done that.  This sounds like a bug.  I'll look into it.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 10:40:50 PM »
Richard,

Kirk: your last suggestion didn't do it, but when I when into the PM Preferences>RAW, I tried the various options. Unchecking the Enable RAW Rendering Using Apples' I/O did the trick. Is there anything else I should be looking for? This proves conclusively that even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then. Thanks again for the great support. Kirk for Pres 08!!

You shouldn't have had to have done that.  This sounds like a bug.  I'll look into it.

I couldn't reproduce any bug.  Here are the settings that I would recommend to make your emailed images look as much like your Capture NX-adjusted NEF files:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 09:34:51 AM »
Kirk: when I use the full size setting rather than large, the files often exceed 10MB. For emailing, large seems to be satisfactory. The convert to sRGB is not checked. Would I not want to convert to sRGB? If cropping and sharpening have been applied in NX and saved, what is reason for checking those boxes in PM?  Lastly, what should the settings in the RAW Prefs be? Thanks, Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 09:45:33 AM »
Richard,

Kirk: when I use the full size setting rather than large, the files often exceed 10MB. For emailing, large seems to be satisfactory. The convert to sRGB is not checked. Would I not want to convert to sRGB? If cropping and sharpening have been applied in NX and saved, what is reason for checking those boxes in PM?  Lastly, what should the settings in the RAW Prefs be?

The only options that matter in that screen shot are the two popup menus: "Source for RAW+JPEG:" and "When using RAW:".  The rest of the options you can change however you like.  Converting to sRGB will most likely result in a change in overall color vibrance depending on the current ICC profile used in your NEF.  So there will likely be a difference you can see.

-Kirk