Author Topic: Watermarking: greater percentage ranges  (Read 9402 times)

Offline Pixoul

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Pixoul Photography
Watermarking: greater percentage ranges
« on: June 02, 2006, 07:44:09 PM »
I'd like the ability to specify greater percentage ranges when watermarking. For example I'd like to specify a width greater than 75% and a height less than 10%. Right now trying to drop in "Copyright © 2006 HamorHollow.com" always results in two lines of text on uncropped portrait images and I'd like it to be a single line. :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Watermarking: greater percentage ranges
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 08:53:01 PM »
I'd like the ability to specify greater percentage ranges when watermarking. For example I'd like to specify a width greater than 75% and a height less than 10%. Right now trying to drop in "Copyright © 2006 HamorHollow.com" always results in two lines of text on uncropped portrait images and I'd like it to be a single line. :)

That's because there is a bug in the 4.4.3 version.  Wait for the 4.4.3.1 version.

-Kirk

Offline blankfortj

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 06:35:02 PM »

That's because there is a bug in the 4.4.3 version.  Wait for the 4.4.3.1 version.

-Kirk

I have the same issue.  Should I wait for 4.4.3.3?  Is there a fix in the works?  Thanks,  John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 09:43:54 PM »

-Kirk

I have the same issue.  Should I wait for 4.4.3.3?  Is there a fix in the works?  Thanks,  John

If you have tried the 4.4.3.2 version and still have problems, then let me know what all of the settings you are using, as well as the string you are using, and the size of the image that you are applying the watermark onto.  If I can reproduce the problem, then I can fix the problem.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline blankfortj

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 04:06:03 PM »

-Kirk

If you have tried the 4.4.3.2 version and still have problems, then let me know what all of the settings you are using, as well as the string you are using, and the size of the image that you are applying the watermark onto.  If I can reproduce the problem, then I can fix the problem.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Kirk,

Thanks for your speedy response.  The problem appears to be corrected or at least it works with the watermark that I use.   

On the “Save As” screen I had checked “to Fit” then entered 400 pixels.  When I checked to “to custom width” and entered 400 x 9999 everything worked great.

You can recreate the problem, but only if you try hard.  You’ll need a vertical image 2592 x 3872.  Watermark make needs to have long non-split able words.  I used “© 12345678901234 Contact Joe smith 1234567890123”.  I suspect this might come up if people try using domain names in a watermark.  Inset 0%, Width 75%, height 10%

Another idea…. it could be a checkbox.  You check the width or height and the program will shrink the watermark to the width or height that you specify.

Is there a reason why the width can’t go to 100% and the height can’t go lower than 10%? 

BTW great product.  I switched to PM from Breesebrowser and could not be happier.  The product rocks.  It’s like you designed it for how I work.  Great interface, fast and makes captioning quick and easy. 

Thanks!

John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 04:59:29 PM »
John,

-Kirk

Thanks,

-Kirk

Kirk,

Thanks for your speedy response.  The problem appears to be corrected or at least it works with the watermark that I use.   

On the “Save As” screen I had checked “to Fit” then entered 400 pixels.  When I checked to “to custom width” and entered 400 x 9999 everything worked great.

You can recreate the problem, but only if you try hard.  You’ll need a vertical image 2592 x 3872.  Watermark make needs to have long non-split able words.  I used “© 12345678901234 Contact Joe smith 1234567890123”.  I suspect this might come up if people try using domain names in a watermark.  Inset 0%, Width 75%, height 10%

Another idea…. it could be a checkbox.  You check the width or height and the program will shrink the watermark to the width or height that you specify.

Is there a reason why the width can’t go to 100% and the height can’t go lower than 10%?

It's mostly a UI issue.  If you were to be able to use 100% of the width, then the Inset would only be allowed to be 0%.  So all kinds of realtime constraints would have to be done to the UI and the whole Watermarking feature was added on to a "point" release instead of waiting for the 4.5 version.  I coded the whole thing up in a couple of days and fit it into the 4.4.3 release.  I may revisit the UI at a later date and remove these restrictions.

In any rate, I have fixed a problem in the font sizing code that didn't allow the fonts to decrease in size, and would instead end up drawing nothing.  I now have it shrinking the fonts down as low as 5 points in size which is really about as small as they can go before they're impossible to read.

The fix will be in the 4.4.3.3 version.

-Kirk