Author Topic: caption team names recall PM, fast?  (Read 7464 times)

Offline sportsman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
caption team names recall PM, fast?
« on: October 20, 2007, 02:39:56 PM »
(1) you take photos of a Soccer team

with a total of 22 players

(2) in most images you take you have 2 or 3 players in them

(3) Can you enter all the names of the players in Photo Mechanic (enter players of team 1, and players of team two)

(4) When you caption your images, can you recall names from Photo Mechanic to save you time in entering the players names again.

(5) example (team one )

1 Jimmy White
2 Jimmy Green
3 Jimmy Black
4 Jimmy Pink
5 Jimmy Kerrg
etc etc....

(6) example (team two )

1 Paddy White
2 Paddy Green
3 Paddy Black
4 Paddy Pink
5 Paddy Kerrg
etc etc....

any way of just typing in the number to get the name of the player?

thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: caption team names recall PM, fast?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 06:23:41 PM »
(1) you take photos of a Soccer team

with a total of 22 players

(2) in most images you take you have 2 or 3 players in them

(3) Can you enter all the names of the players in Photo Mechanic (enter players of team 1, and players of team two)

(4) When you caption your images, can you recall names from Photo Mechanic to save you time in entering the players names again.

(5) example (team one )

1 Jimmy White
2 Jimmy Green
3 Jimmy Black
4 Jimmy Pink
5 Jimmy Kerrg
etc etc....

(6) example (team two )

1 Paddy White
2 Paddy Green
3 Paddy Black
4 Paddy Pink
5 Paddy Kerrg
etc etc....

any way of just typing in the number to get the name of the player?

Well there is a feature called Code Replacement that can do shorthand replacement, but you need to use something to differentiate the numbers from each team since you have duplicates.  So if you use something like this

A1  Jimmy White
A2  Jimmy Green
A3 Jimmy Black
A4 Jimmy Pink
A5 Jimmy Kerrg
B1 Paddy White
B2 Paddy Green
B3 Paddy Black
B4 Paddy Pink
B5 Paddy Kerrg
etc etc....

Then you can just enter \A1\ and it will be replaced with Jimmy Green

Read about Code Replacement in the manual.  You can get the 4.4 version manual on our downloads page:

http://www.camerabits.com/download/index.html

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
    • Propaganda
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 01:50:03 AM »
If the poster knew about CR already then maybe he is requesting a form of code replacement entry inside of PM rather than having to go and generate a new text document and import it into PM. This is an idea I would also welcome. It would save a lot of time if the code replacement file could be edited within PM. This would mean minor changes could be made to the file very quickly without having to leave PM, load up the original text file, make the change, save it, back to PM, re-set the CR file.

Also, I'd still like to be able to point PM to a CR file that is on a web site. I can then have one CR file online and have many photographers linking to it. There can then be an 'update CR' button that a photographer can click, when they do PM goes to the URL and gets the latest CR info. Then I only need to make one change to the master file and all the photographers can be updated. This would mean I don't have to send out CR files to all photographers every time there is a change.

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 06:07:10 AM »
If the poster knew about CR already then maybe he is requesting a form of code replacement entry inside of PM rather than having to go and generate a new text document and import it into PM. This is an idea I would also welcome. It would save a lot of time if the code replacement file could be edited within PM. This would mean minor changes could be made to the file very quickly without having to leave PM, load up the original text file, make the change, save it, back to PM, re-set the CR file.

Also, I'd still like to be able to point PM to a CR file that is on a web site. I can then have one CR file online and have many photographers linking to it. There can then be an 'update CR' button that a photographer can click, when they do PM goes to the URL and gets the latest CR info. Then I only need to make one change to the master file and all the photographers can be updated. This would mean I don't have to send out CR files to all photographers every time there is a change.

I must 'me too' on this one.
It is a lot to ask but it would be great.
Perhaps a two version implementation, one for the editor, next one for the network.
The option to have the CR list as a floating sidebar would also be good.
Currently we print them out as a reference but on location thats not practical.

Marc
Marc