Author Topic: Photo Mechanic 4.4.3.1 beta comments  (Read 103945 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic 4.4.3.1 beta comments
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2006, 08:40:46 AM »
A couple of small items on Windows XP.

- When renaming a folder, the "delete" key does not delete characters forward. Must use backspace.

I just tested this.  It works fine for me.  Both backspace and delete work the way they should.

Quote from: Marty Ojaste
- When renaming a folder, if does not recoginze lowercase. IE: rename "MAchine" to "Machine"; yields no change.

They are the same name.  Windows uses a case-insensitive but case-preserving file system so MAchine is the same as Machine.  You could just rename MAchine to xMachine and then finally to Machine and it would work fine.

Regarding the delete key issue, we fixed that one a while ago.  Are you sure you are running the latest version?

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2006, 08:48:00 AM »
I have a problem that is related the drag-n-drop of images on a Windows XP Sp2 system.

The folder structure is,

Folder 1
Folder 2 - Sample1.jpg
 Sub-folder 1 - Sample2.jpg
 Sub-folder 2

Case 1: Works - drag-n-drop Sample2.jpg from Sub-folder 1 to Folder 1

Case 2: Works - drag-n-drop Sample2.jpg from Sub-folder 1 to Sub-folder 2

Case 3: Fails - drag-n-drop Sample2.jpg from Sub-folder 1 to Folder 2

Case 4: Fails - drag-n-drop Sample1 from Folder 2 to Sub-folder 1

Case 4: Works - darg-n-drop Sample2.jpg from Sub-folder 1 to Sub-folder 2

It appears that the upward movement of a file in a directory tree fails; while the downward or parallel movement works.

I just tested all of this with the same layout as you described, and Case 3 and Case 4 did not fail for me.

Are you sure you are testing the beta?  What is the creation date of your PMNavigator.ocx?  It should be Friday, June 02, 2006, 5:59:31 PM.

-Kirk

Offline Marty Ojaste

• View Profile
    • Martin Ojaste
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2006, 10:27:51 AM »
However, if you are in PM and change the state, then do a right-click and copy photos with open contact sheet, it reverts to the original startup state.  Shouldn't it use the current state when opening the contact sheet?
\Marty

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2006, 10:45:23 AM »
However, if you are in PM and change the state, then do a right-click and copy photos with open contact sheet, it reverts to the original startup state.  Shouldn't it use the current state when opening the contact sheet?

I don't understand what you are saying.  How about a list of steps?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Marty Ojaste

• View Profile
    • Martin Ojaste
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2006, 03:21:58 PM »
Are you sure you are testing the beta?  What is the creation date of your PMNavigator.ocx?  It should be Friday, June 02, 2006, 5:59:31 PM.

The creation date is 2 Jun 06, 17:59 for PMNavigator.ocx.

and "About" gives V 4.4.3.1
\Marty

Offline Marty Ojaste

• View Profile
    • Martin Ojaste
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2006, 03:27:46 PM »
They are the same name.  Windows uses a case-insensitive but case-preserving file system so MAchine is the same as Machine.  You could just rename MAchine to xMachine and then finally to Machine and it would work fine.

Regarding the delete key issue, we fixed that one a while ago.  Are you sure you are running the latest version?

Thanks, I've use that work-around.

As for version I am as sure as I can be.  Is there a way/steps to remove all evidence (including Registry) of PM so I can re-install from scratch?
\Marty

Offline Marty Ojaste

• View Profile
    • Martin Ojaste
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2006, 03:33:19 PM »
Quote from: Marty Ojaste on Today at 13:27:51

I don't understand what you are saying.  How about a list of steps?

Thanks,

I think I should wait until we can prove the right version of PM is running.
\Marty

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2006, 04:50:35 PM »

As for version I am as sure as I can be.  Is there a way/steps to remove all evidence (including Registry) of PM so I can re-install from scratch?

Here is the most thorough way I can think of:

Do an Uninstall and then reboot.
Open your Windows\System32 folder.
Find and remove PMFavorites.ocx and PMNavigator.ocx, putting them in the Recycle Bin.
Find and remove PMShellMenu.dll, putting it into the Recycle Bin.
Empty the Recycle Bin.

Restart again.

Install Photo Mechanic.
Try to reproduce the issues again.  (The case renaming issue MAchine to Machine will still be there).

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Marty Ojaste

• View Profile
    • Martin Ojaste
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2006, 09:02:23 AM »
« Reply #52 on: 2006-06-19, 19:50:35 » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Marty Ojaste on 2006-06-19, 18:27:46

Find and remove PMFavorites.ocx and PMNavigator.ocx, putting them in the Recycle Bin.
Empty the Recycle Bin.

Restart again.

Install Photo Mechanic.
Try to reproduce the issues again.  (The case renaming issue MAchine to Machine will still be there).

Kirk, I did the above.

So to simplify the process I am going to try to get only one issue resolved at a time.

So the "delete" key is the easiest one. 

I "single clicked" on a folder name and moved the pointer to the middle of the name. I could "backspace key" delete, however could not "delete key" delete. Before you ask, the "delete key" does word with other applications.

Now what?
\Marty

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2006, 01:44:10 PM »
« Reply #52 on: 2006-06-19, 19:50:35 » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Marty Ojaste on 2006-06-19, 18:27:46

Empty the Recycle Bin.

Restart again.

Install Photo Mechanic.

Kirk, I did the above.

So to simplify the process I am going to try to get only one issue resolved at a time.

So the "delete" key is the easiest one. 

I "single clicked" on a folder name and moved the pointer to the middle of the name. I could "backspace key" delete, however could not "delete key" delete. Before you ask, the "delete key" does word with other applications.

Now what?

I'm going to refer you back to Kathy since she is the engineer that writes the Favorites and the Navigator on Windows.  I will get her in touch with you later this afternoon.

-Kirk

Offline kbell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2006, 05:33:11 PM »
Marty,

We at CameraBits have tried and we cannot reproduce the behavior you are seeing, on different computers and in different locations.  There is a Microsoft knowledge article pertaining to this issue, it is here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/130691/en-us

I double-checked and the versions of the navigator and favorites you are using should have this code enabled.

To be sure that you don't have an old version of PhotoMechanic hanging around or old ActiveX controls somehow, I'd like you to try uninstalling PhotoMechanic on the system you are having problems with, then before reinstalling a new version, I'd like you to search for old ActiveX controls hanging around.  Make sure you don't have any instances of PhotoMechanic running and uninstall the program.

After you perform the uninstallation, if you could open Windows Explorer, right-click on "My Computer" in the left-hand pane and select "Search...".  Then click "All files and folders", and type "PM*.ocx" (without the quotes) in the "All or part of the file name" text field.  Then click "Search".

There should be no OCX controls found.  If there are, try selecting the OCX controls that are found in the search results and delete them.  If they can't be deleted, then they are in use, which shouldn't happen if PhotoMechanic truly isn't running.

If you can't delete them, try restarting your machine and repeat the above search.  When you find them, try once again to delete them.  If you haven't started PhotoMechanic, it should be possible to delete them.

Then reinstall the program.  Repeat the search to locate the ActiveX controls.  When you find them, right click on them, click "Properties", then click the "Version" tab.  Let us know the version numbers of both PMFavorites.ocx and PMNavigator.ocx.

If it looks like your ActiveX controls are up-to-date and you are still having the problem, the next thing to do would be to verify your Windows setup.  In our phone conversation last month you mentioned that you are using VirtualPC to create virtual Windows environments.  I'd like you to try running the latest version of PhotoMechanic on a machine that isn't running multiple versions of Windows and let us know if it happens there.

If it doesn't happen there and it does happen in your virtual environment, I'd like to know more about the specifics of the Windows environment on the machine you are using PhotoMechanic on, what is the "base" version of Windows and where is it installed, where is the problematic version installed, do you have multiple installations of PhotoMechanic on the same computer.

Thanks for helping us to possibly reproduce your problem.

- Kathy

Offline kbell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2006, 05:51:37 PM »

The creation date is 2 Jun 06, 17:59 for PMNavigator.ocx.

and "About" gives V 4.4.3.1

Marty,

Looking at the "About" dialog will give you the version of the PhotoMechanic executable, but not for the navigator and favorites ActiveX components.

To report the version numbers of the ActiveX controls, you would need to locate the physical PMNavigator.ocx and PMFavorites.ocx files and right-click on them to view the version number.

- Kathy

Offline kbell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2006, 05:58:45 PM »

Could you please clarify what you mean by "change the state", "copy photos with open contact sheet", and "current state"?

And if you could give us the exact details of the copy, for example, are you copying photos by selecting the thumbnails in an open contact sheet and dragging them to a folder in the Navigator?

Thanks, Marty.

- Kathy

Offline kbell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2006, 06:21:22 PM »
When I start PM, the folders are displayed.  I change which folders/sub-folders are displayed and if I copy a image and have it open the destination contact sheet, it displays the folders/sub-folders with all the opens and closes I had done previously in the session.  It seems to display all/any of the folders I had opened in in the other contact sheets.

Should PM display what was current set, or as it was originally?

(Windows XP)

Marty,

The state of the tree is saved exactly as it was either in your previous session or before your last refresh.

For example, if you had folder A with subfolder B and subfolder C under B and all were open, then you collapsed A, then re-expanded it, B and C would still be open, this is how all treeview windows work in Windows unless this behavior is explicitly overridden.  Windows Explorer works the same way, but it doesn't save tree state from session to session.

If you collapsed A and left B and C expanded , then you quit Photo Mechanic, when you start the program and expand A, you will see B and still expanded unless you explicitly collapsed them.

- Kathy

Offline Marty Ojaste

• View Profile
    • Martin Ojaste
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2006, 07:46:04 PM »
The state of the tree is saved exactly as it was either in your previous session or before your last refresh.

For example, if you had folder A with subfolder B and subfolder C under B and all were open, then you collapsed A, then re-expanded it, B and C would still be open, this is how all treeview windows work in Windows unless this behavior is explicitly overridden.  Windows Explorer works the same way, but it doesn't save tree state from session to session.

If you collapsed A and left B and C expanded , then you quit Photo Mechanic, when you start the program and expand A, you will see B and still expanded unless you explicitly collapsed them.

Kathy, thanks for the explanation and I see what happened.

When I did some work, opening and closing limbs of the tree and copying photos from one disk to another the destination drive. The destination tree opened to put focus on the target folder. Then when I repeated this with a different target drive it would also open. Doing this 10-20 times makes the tree very expanded. 

To make it more interesting, my "My Documents" folder is the root of a drive (E:). So when I copy to a sub-folder in "My Documents" structure, then two target folders open; one for the "My Documents" target and the other because of the drive E:.

It got very complicated because the "My Documents" label in not on any of the tree structure display.

Sorry for the confusion.

\Marty

\Marty