Author Topic: Photo Mechanic 4.4.3.1 beta comments  (Read 103695 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Photo Mechanic 4.4.3.1 beta comments
« on: June 02, 2006, 11:50:02 PM »
Post your comments about the beta here.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline robk47

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Mechanic 4.4.3.1 beta comments
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 06:57:03 AM »
Kirk,
What are the changes in this beta version and when do you anticipate releasing the non-beta version?  In downloading the beta version, I assume that over-writes the current version of PM...will the beta expire before the final version is due? Thanks.
Rob K

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 07:26:29 AM »
What are the changes in this beta version and when do you anticipate releasing the non-beta version?  In downloading the beta version, I assume that over-writes the current version of PM...will the beta expire before the final version is due? Thanks.

* (Mac) The Copy Photos command can now move photos from one folder to another on the same volume without the much slower method of copying the files and then deleting the source.
* (Mac) Added an option to disable the Mac's RAW processing using ImageIO due to crash reports beyond our control (probably due to corrupted photos from flash cards).  Removed need to check with ImageIO for each photo during operations such as ingest, thereby speeding up these operations.  Added workaround for bug in ImageIO related to captioned Canon 1D and 1DS RAW TIF files.
* (Mac) Fixed a problem with creating Finder icons on Intel Macs.
* When cropping RAW+JPEG photos, both the JPEG and the RAW will be cropped (previously only one of the pair would get the crop).
* Improved speed of reading TIFF files for multi-processor systems.
* Photo preferences for tag and color class are now saved in IPTC/XMP whenever  the IPTC/XMP is modified for a photo, regardless of the preference setting.  However, when tagging or setting the color class, the preference is still followed (i.e. if you have this turned off then only the photo preferences stored at the end-of-file will be updated as with versions 4.4.2 and earlier).
* Fixed issues with word wrapping and copyright symbol in watermarks.
* Photos dragged onto Photo Mechanic will open the enclosing folder in a contact sheet and select the dragged photo(s).
* More intelligent handling of resetting selection after deleting photos in the contact sheet.
* The setting of the color class widget can now be saved as a default when opening new contact sheets.
* (Mac) Made Quick Search toolbar work more like the Spotlight menu search.
* (Mac) Fixed issues with AppleScript and long paths.
* In the PhotoShelter upload dialog, the "Make images publicly searchable" checkbox now "sticks" between invocations.  Also, on Windows 2000, fixed the Archive menu so it now shows all available Archives, not just the Default archive.  And on Mac, you can customize your toolbar to include a PhotoShelter icon for easy access to the PhotoShelter Upload dialog.
* (Win) Fixed bug with dragging text (e.g. from the rename text field) onto the contact sheet window causing a lock up.
* (Mac) Added a "Move to Trash" option for folders in Navigator and Favorites.
* (Mac) Command-Option-C in IPTC Info dialog now applies IPTC Stationery to photos.
* (Mac) Added option to open a blank contact sheet window when Photo Mechanic is resumed and no contact sheet window is open (to follow Apple guidelines).  See the Preferences / Contact Sheet page.

We plan to release the final version by the middle of next week (June 7th) but we really want everyone's feedback on whether or not their issues are solved by this release.  Then I can get started in earnest on 4.5 which is what everyone wants most besides a stable, bug-free 4.4.x release.

So yes, the final release will arrive before the beta expires, and if it doesn't then we'll release a new beta with an extended expire date.

Installing the beta doesn't completely overwrite the 4.4.3 version if you tell the installer to install the beta in a different folder, but some of the resources are shared (Favorites and Navigator) and these items are stored in only one location, thus they will be overwritten, and may cause 4.4.3 to function incorrectly.  My advice is to switch to the beta (this is your decision) and use it exclusively.  If you want to go back to 4.4.3 or earlier, then uninstall the beta, and reinstall your earlier version.  This way you will have none of the problems I described.  BTW, this pertains to the Windows version only.  Mac users can keep multiple versions coexisting with no problem, just put the different versions in different folders (there is no installer on the Mac version) and you'll be fine.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline mikael

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • mikaelkjellstrom.com
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 11:06:36 AM »
Kirk,

Could not find the Beta version at the URL: http://www.camerabits.com/download/index.html
Is it located else where or is is not a public Beta?

...Mikael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 11:17:09 AM »
Kirk,

Could not find the Beta version at the URL: http://www.camerabits.com/download/index.html
Is it located else where or is is not a public Beta?

See the Announcements section.  Here is the posting.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:58:04 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Primoz

• View Profile
    • PhotoSI Sports photo agency
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 11:46:51 PM »
I just tried both things which made me problems in 4.4.3 and they are definitely fixed. This means, (c) sign shows correctly now without some weird character infront as it did before, and positioning of watermark works great again.

Thanks for all your work Kirk. :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 12:54:51 AM »
I just tried both things which made me problems in 4.4.3 and they are definitely fixed. This means, (c) sign shows correctly now without some weird character infront as it did before, and positioning of watermark works great again.

Thanks for all your work Kirk. :)

You're welcome.  Please everyone, if you reported an issue with 4.4.3, download 4.4.3.1 and test your specific issue to make certain that it is resolved.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline mikael

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • mikaelkjellstrom.com
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 12:51:36 PM »
Kirk,

When selecting and dragging images from the contact sheet to an OSX folder on the desktop (outside PM)  it moves the files which is great, but it takes PM about two minutes to remove them from the original folder (All on the same HD).  Previously it was instant.  I tried F5 to refresh, but the source images were still in the folder and after about 1-2 minutes they got removed.  Not sure about the delay as it was no problem working like this in the earlier versions.

...Mikael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 01:50:15 PM »
Kirk,

When selecting and dragging images from the contact sheet to an OSX folder on the desktop (outside PM)  it moves the files which is great, but it takes PM about two minutes to remove them from the original folder (All on the same HD).  Previously it was instant.  I tried F5 to refresh, but the source images were still in the folder and after about 1-2 minutes they got removed.  Not sure about the delay as it was no problem working like this in the earlier versions.

F5 just resorts/refilters the items.  You want Rescan which is on the File menu.

The reason for the change was that we have received numerous crash reports that implicate the messaging system used to notify Photo Mechanic that a folder has been updated.

-Kirk

Offline mikael

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • mikaelkjellstrom.com
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 08:57:51 AM »
OK, the re-scan of contact sheet solves the problem after moving the images, but unfortunately it's another step which never needed to be done prior to this release and it strays away from the drag-and-drop function properly.  The program does automatically rescans the folder after a minute or so, but after performing a move of images, you might be wondering if it actually got moved or not.

...Mikael

PS!  Another option in the FTP Send menu that would be great is if the images were successfully transmitted, instead of copy them to a 'sent' folder, maybe have to option of having them moved.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 09:21:22 AM »
OK, the re-scan of contact sheet solves the problem after moving the images, but unfortunately it's another step which never needed to be done prior to this release and it strays away from the drag-and-drop function properly.  The program does automatically rescans the folder after a minute or so, but after performing a move of images, you might be wondering if it actually got moved or not.

Rest assured that it will be fixed before the final release.

Quote from: mikael
PS!  Another option in the FTP Send menu that would be great is if the images were successfully transmitted, instead of copy them to a 'sent' folder, maybe have to option of having them moved.

Already on the wish list. ;)

-Kirk

Offline carynlevy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • www.carynlevy.com
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 12:01:59 PM »
Hi Kirk-
I did a thorough test of the beta to see if the issues I was having were resolved.  Here's what I found:
* Red Thumbnails - resolved on MacBookPro & Intel iMac
* Copy Speed issues - FYI - I'm on a Dual 2.7GHz G5 with 4.5 gig of RAM running 10.4.6
   Copy Specs: 2 gig card with 1.5 gig used, 123 R+J, no caption or rename, finder thumbnail generated.
   I used a stopwatch to accurately keep track of time.
   In 4.4.3 the copying took 7:09:08
   In 4.4.3.1 the copying took 3:00:00
   I decided to go back & install 4.3.8 because it still seemed a little slow to me.
   In 4.3.8 the copying took 1:13:05
So from 4.3.8 to 4.4.3 the copying took almost 7 times longer.  That was cut to less than half in the 4.4.3.1 beta, but it's still almost 3 times longer than in 4.3.8.
Don't get me wrong ... I love all the improvements.  PM evolves into a better, more powerful program with each update.  I just didn't know if you had any explanation for this issue.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Caryn
www.carynlevy.com
www.pgatourimages.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 01:59:00 PM »
Hi Kirk-
I did a thorough test of the beta to see if the issues I was having were resolved.  Here's what I found:
* Red Thumbnails - resolved on MacBookPro & Intel iMac
* Copy Speed issues - FYI - I'm on a Dual 2.7GHz G5 with 4.5 gig of RAM running 10.4.6
   Copy Specs: 2 gig card with 1.5 gig used, 123 R+J, no caption or rename, finder thumbnail generated.
   I used a stopwatch to accurately keep track of time.
   In 4.4.3 the copying took 7:09:08
   In 4.4.3.1 the copying took 3:00:00
   I decided to go back & install 4.3.8 because it still seemed a little slow to me.
   In 4.3.8 the copying took 1:13:05
So from 4.3.8 to 4.4.3 the copying took almost 7 times longer.  That was cut to less than half in the 4.4.3.1 beta, but it's still almost 3 times longer than in 4.3.8.
Don't get me wrong ... I love all the improvements.  PM evolves into a better, more powerful program with each update.  I just didn't know if you had any explanation for this issue.
Any thoughts?

Not yet, but I will pass the information on to the engineer that writes Ingest.  Did you restart your system each time you tried a different version?  And were you doing all of the same things like renaming, apply IPTC Stationery pad, etc.?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline carynlevy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • www.carynlevy.com
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 02:04:27 PM »
Hi Kirk-
For the purpose of this speed test, I did not apply captions or renaming, even though I normally would.  I didn't use ingest, just copy.  I did have it generate finder icons.  I didn't restart after each installation, but I did check to see that the "right" version was running.  I simply quit, downloaded & installed the next version.  Do you want me to try the speed test again with ingest/caption/rename & restart?  Let me know.
Thanks.
Caryn
www.carynlevy.com
www.pgatourimages.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 02:33:44 PM »
Hi Kirk-
For the purpose of this speed test, I did not apply captions or renaming, even though I normally would.  I didn't use ingest, just copy.  I did have it generate finder icons.  I didn't restart after each installation, but I did check to see that the "right" version was running.  I simply quit, downloaded & installed the next version.  Do you want me to try the speed test again with ingest/caption/rename & restart?  Let me know.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you.  I thought you were talking about Ingest.

In order for the tests to be valid you will have to restart your system between each test and you have to be very rigorous in how much time you spend inside the contact sheet before you start the copy.  Building the Finder thumbnails can be very fast if a suitable image has already been generated by the normal workings of the Contact Sheet.  Also, make sure you have the Cache empty on exit so that you have a level playing field.

-Kirk