Author Topic: Photo Mechanic 4.4.3.1 beta comments  (Read 103705 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic 4.4.3.1 beta comments
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2006, 12:28:52 PM »
Hi Kirk-
I've been going bonkers for a few days trying to figure out a problem I've been having with 4.4.3.1.
FYI - I'm on a Dual 2.7GHz G5 with 4.5 gig of RAM running 10.4.6 and I also tried this on an Intel iMac 2Ghz with 2 gig of RAM running 10.4.6.
When I copy pictures, with the "create finder icons" box checked, here's what happens on both systems:
If I click copy (and not move/delete), the finder icons get generated.
If I click copy, then check the box that says move/delete, the finder icons are NOT generated.
It's been driving me crazy trying to figure out why I get icons sometimes, but not always.
Something else I noticed in this new version (or maybe it's been like this in previous versions, but I haven't tried it lately)...
Here's the scenario:
I have a folder full of images with NO icons.
I want to generate icons.
In the past, if I would copy/move images into the same folder where they originated, it would add the append letter (as I have checked in preferences) to the file name to avoid overwriting. This always caused me to have to copy/move to a new folder to avoid having the letter added to the name. Now with the tests I've been running, it's no longer necessary to copy/move to a new folder. If I copy/move from the origin folder to the origin folder (just for the purpose of generating a thumbnail), it no longer appends the name...AWESOME.
I know that the beta expires tomorrow.  Is there gonna be another beta, or will something be released?

Moving files does not cause icons to be generated.  Only copying the files causes icons to be generated if the preference is set to add icons when copying files.  If we added icons when moving files it would completely defeat the fast move operation.

It sounds like what you really need is a command on the Tools menu to add icons to files.  Wouldn't that be better?

And as far as the beta goes, we will be releasing another beta soon.

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2006, 02:34:35 PM »
Not sure if this is a problem or an enhancement, but I thought I would toss it in here to see if this varies from the intended behavior.

When doing a "Find" on IPTC data (I was using {suppcat2}), it is not clear whether the search has found anything unless I set the contact sheet to the smallest thumbnail size and look for highlighted thumbnails.  Shouldn't a search reposition the contact sheet to the first image found or display a message if no items were found matching the search criteria?

-Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2006, 03:01:29 PM »
Not sure if this is a problem or an enhancement, but I thought I would toss it in here to see if this varies from the intended behavior.

When doing a "Find" on IPTC data (I was using {suppcat2}), it is not clear whether the search has found anything unless I set the contact sheet to the smallest thumbnail size and look for highlighted thumbnails.  Shouldn't a search reposition the contact sheet to the first image found or display a message if no items were found matching the search criteria?

I suppose it could automatically set the filter to Selected for you.  You can always press F2 and you'll see just the matches.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2006, 05:11:04 AM »
Not sure it needs to be an exclusive display (selected only).  Just advancing the contact sheet down to the first selected image would be fine.  Kind of like using MS-Word when you do a search for a term, it stops on the first word it finds that matches the search criteria.

If this isn't a bug, we can move this discussion to the enhancements thread.

-Mike

Offline bsnead

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2006, 10:46:59 AM »
(was <RE:Canon D1 RAW previews>)

Kirk,

Canon D1 Tif files do preview nicely now in the new beta.

However, speed seems down overall.  But looking over some comments of others, it appears you will have addressed this by the time of the release.

Thanks for continually improving this product. You're truly making a difference, and that's what it's all about, yes?

Bill Snead

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2006, 11:02:10 AM »
Kirk:
First ingest with 4.3.3.1 (XP-pro) since loading the latest version...

Default settings have PM open with Ingest dialogue box openning with previous settings loading up.  I plug in 2Gb Sandisk ExtremeIII to reader and begin updating Ingest fields, but am interupted by new Ingest dialogue box.  Figure system is reacting to new card, but I cancel new box, finish editing old one and begin Ingest. ERROR: Only first half of card Ingests and I wind up with 64 image ingest errors along with warning not to unmount disk because of these.  Soln: I leave card mounted are re-Ingest into a new directory and the back half of the images are ingested.

Probably what the controls industry call "a procedural error" (i.e. my fault) but thought I'd let you know.

Rock on.

Craig

Offline Marty Ojaste

• View Profile
    • Martin Ojaste
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2006, 06:17:18 PM »
I have a problem that is related the drag-n-drop of images on a Windows XP Sp2 system.

The folder structure is,

Folder 1
Folder 2 - Sample1.jpg
 Sub-folder 1 - Sample2.jpg
 Sub-folder 2

Case 1: Works - drag-n-drop Sample2.jpg from Sub-folder 1 to Folder 1

Case 2: Works - drag-n-drop Sample2.jpg from Sub-folder 1 to Sub-folder 2

Case 3: Fails - drag-n-drop Sample2.jpg from Sub-folder 1 to Folder 2

Case 4: Fails - drag-n-drop Sample1 from Folder 2 to Sub-folder 1

Case 4: Works - darg-n-drop Sample2.jpg from Sub-folder 1 to Sub-folder 2

It appears that the upward movement of a file in a directory tree fails; while the downward or parallel movement works.
\Marty

Offline salobaas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2006, 04:55:46 AM »
Hi Kirk,

there is a difference between the Windows and Mac version when setting the Preview background in the Preferences. On windows when I set the Preview Background to black the preview background is indeed black. When on the Mac I do the same the background does not change. However, when I set the Selected Preview Background black then the preview background is black. Turns out on the Mac these two buttons are inverted, the Preview Background changes the selected preview background and vice versa.

Cheers, Fons.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2006, 11:23:16 PM »
Canon D1 Tif files do preview nicely now in the new beta.

However, speed seems down overall.  But looking over some comments of others, it appears you will have addressed this by the time of the release.

Thanks for continually improving this product. You're truly making a difference, and that's what it's all about, yes?

The Beta has all of the speed improvements in it.  We're holding nothing back.

You do have to understand that rendering full resolution 1D RAW files will take substantially longer than drawing the tiny tiff thumbnail that is normally displayed when the RAW rendering is disabled.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2006, 11:29:28 PM »
there is a difference between the Windows and Mac version when setting the Preview background in the Preferences. On windows when I set the Preview Background to black the preview background is indeed black. When on the Mac I do the same the background does not change. However, when I set the Selected Preview Background black then the preview background is black. Turns out on the Mac these two buttons are inverted, the Preview Background changes the selected preview background and vice versa.

You're right.  I'll fix that.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2006, 11:38:45 PM »
First ingest with 4.3.3.1 (XP-pro) since loading the latest version...

Default settings have PM open with Ingest dialogue box openning with previous settings loading up.  I plug in 2Gb Sandisk ExtremeIII to reader and begin updating Ingest fields, but am interupted by new Ingest dialogue box.  Figure system is reacting to new card, but I cancel new box, finish editing old one and begin Ingest. ERROR: Only first half of card Ingests and I wind up with 64 image ingest errors along with warning not to unmount disk because of these.  Soln: I leave card mounted are re-Ingest into a new directory and the back half of the images are ingested.

Probably what the controls industry call "a procedural error" (i.e. my fault) but thought I'd let you know.

I'll see what I can do to prevent such a problem from occurring again.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2006, 11:39:55 PM »
I have a problem that is related the drag-n-drop of images on a Windows XP Sp2 system.

The folder structure is,

Folder 1
Folder 2 - Sample1.jpg
 Sub-folder 1 - Sample2.jpg
 Sub-folder 2

Case 1: Works - drag-n-drop Sample2.jpg from Sub-folder 1 to Folder 1

Case 2: Works - drag-n-drop Sample2.jpg from Sub-folder 1 to Sub-folder 2

Case 3: Fails - drag-n-drop Sample2.jpg from Sub-folder 1 to Folder 2

Case 4: Fails - drag-n-drop Sample1 from Folder 2 to Sub-folder 1

Case 4: Works - darg-n-drop Sample2.jpg from Sub-folder 1 to Sub-folder 2

It appears that the upward movement of a file in a directory tree fails; while the downward or parallel movement works.

I'll try and reproduce this tomorrow.

-Kirk

Offline Marty Ojaste

• View Profile
    • Martin Ojaste
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2006, 11:01:38 AM »
When I start PM, the folders are displayed.  I change which folders/sub-folders are displayed and if I copy a image and have it open the destination contact sheet, it displays the folders/sub-folders with all the opens and closes I had done previously in the session.  It seems to display all/any of the folders I had opened in in the other contact sheets.

Should PM display what was current set, or as it was originally?

(Windows XP)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 11:21:08 AM by Marty Ojaste »
\Marty

Offline Marty Ojaste

• View Profile
    • Martin Ojaste
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2006, 02:21:05 PM »
A couple of small items on Windows XP.

- When renaming a folder, the "delete" key does not delete characters forward. Must use backspace.

- When renaming a folder, if does not recoginze lowercase. IE: rename "MAchine" to "Machine"; yields no change.
\Marty

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2006, 08:37:52 AM »
When I start PM, the folders are displayed.  I change which folders/sub-folders are displayed and if I copy a image and have it open the destination contact sheet, it displays the folders/sub-folders with all the opens and closes I had done previously in the session.  It seems to display all/any of the folders I had opened in in the other contact sheets.

Should PM display what was current set, or as it was originally?

It remembers the state of all opened folders at the time of closing Photo Mechanic.  On startup it restores them.

-Kirk