Author Topic: Copying XMP files while organizing with PM4.  (Read 7830 times)

Offline abennett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Copying XMP files while organizing with PM4.
« on: October 23, 2007, 04:31:09 PM »
I just noticed that while making selections in PM4 and copying a few images to a remote directory my XMP sidecars were copied along as well.

This is why PM is second to none. Thank you Camera Bits!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Copying XMP files while organizing with PM4.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 04:33:25 PM »
I just noticed that while making selections in PM4 and copying a few images to a remote directory my XMP sidecars were copied along as well.

This is why PM is second to none. Thank you Camera Bits!

All files associated with an image will get copied/moved with the image.  This includes XMP sidecars and WAV files among others.  Otherwise they would be orphaned.

-Kirk

Offline abennett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 04:59:30 PM »
Well good thinkin'! I appreciate the feature so I don't have to track down pesky missing XMPs.

I also noticed opening up the directory in Bridge CS3 that it maintained some of my star ratings, but not all of them. May I ask how this is supposed to work? I'd love to have ratings move with the image as some colleagues use Bridge where I would like to be fully PM.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 05:44:48 PM »
Well good thinkin'! I appreciate the feature so I don't have to track down pesky missing XMPs.

I also noticed opening up the directory in Bridge CS3 that it maintained some of my star ratings, but not all of them. May I ask how this is supposed to work? I'd love to have ratings move with the image as some colleagues use Bridge where I would like to be fully PM.

You have to make Photo Mechanic write out XMP data for all of your image types.  There are separate settings for RAW files vs. everything else.  You can also make the Color Classes in PM map to Bridge (and Lightroom) Labels and vice-versa.

Here is how I recommend people who work with Adobe products set up their IPTC/XMP preferences:

[attachment deleted by admin]