Author Topic: Crop size display  (Read 3803 times)

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
Crop size display
« on: November 01, 2007, 09:13:44 AM »
As long as some crop issues have come up recently, thought I would throw this in.  I have recently created a number of web images from deep crops.  My objective was to create an 800 pixel wide web image.  I didn't want my final image to be up-resed.  It would be nice to see the dimensions of the crop so that we can adjust to suit.  In my case I would have expanded it to about 800 pixels width, set my height, maybe through a constrained crop, and then shuffled it around for best composition.  As it was, I had to do a trial crop, save as JPG, check the dimensions, then rinse and repeat until I at least got close to what I wanted. 

You could display those numbers directly under the contraint input boxes, which at least makes sense to me if not to anyone else  :D

Even better would be input fields to set a specific crop size, but here I'm restraining myself and compromising up front  ;D.  Maybe this idea rings a bell with someone else with specific needs....

Neil

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Crop size display
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 10:36:01 AM »
Neil,

As long as some crop issues have come up recently, thought I would throw this in.  I have recently created a number of web images from deep crops.  My objective was to create an 800 pixel wide web image.  I didn't want my final image to be up-resed.  It would be nice to see the dimensions of the crop so that we can adjust to suit.  In my case I would have expanded it to about 800 pixels width, set my height, maybe through a constrained crop, and then shuffled it around for best composition.  As it was, I had to do a trial crop, save as JPG, check the dimensions, then rinse and repeat until I at least got close to what I wanted. 

All you have to do is choose the aspect ratio that you want, then crop the full resolution image.  Then when you do your output apply the crop and scale to 800 pixels.  The cropped image that results will fit into an 800 pixel-sized box.

Quote from: NeilR
You could display those numbers directly under the contraint input boxes, which at least makes sense to me if not to anyone else.

There are crop-size related variables that you can put in the Info Text if you'd like.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
Re: Crop size display
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 11:11:42 AM »
Neil,
There are crop-size related variables that you can put in the Info Text if you'd like.

That's all I wanted  ;D