Author Topic: Thumbnail / Preview images render slowly across network  (Read 5524 times)

Offline hoss

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thumbnail / Preview images render slowly across network
« on: October 26, 2007, 07:52:48 AM »
Hi,

Looking for some help here...

I have a NAS setup on my network for image storage and have noticed that rendering thumbnails (have set to render hi-res thumbs) and larger preview images takes quite a long time across the network (wired 100MB).  I realize that the render speed is being hampered by doing so across the network, as well as the fact that these are .tiff files of around 28-30MB each, so I'm not looking for a miracle, just wondering if there was a setting or "trick" to help improve the render times.

My NAS is a Netgear ReadyNAS 1TB which is being networked with a 3GHz Dual-Core Mac Pro with 4GB of RAM and a 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro with 2GB of RAM.

I have the cache in PM set to 1024MB for each machine.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Thumbnail / Preview images render slowly across network
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 09:16:29 AM »
Looking for some help here...

I have a NAS setup on my network for image storage and have noticed that rendering thumbnails (have set to render hi-res thumbs) and larger preview images takes quite a long time across the network (wired 100MB).  I realize that the render speed is being hampered by doing so across the network, as well as the fact that these are .tiff files of around 28-30MB each, so I'm not looking for a miracle, just wondering if there was a setting or "trick" to help improve the render times.

My NAS is a Netgear ReadyNAS 1TB which is being networked with a 3GHz Dual-Core Mac Pro with 4GB of RAM and a 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro with 2GB of RAM.

I have the cache in PM set to 1024MB for each machine.

Which cache are you speaking of?  The Disk cache?  Or the Memory cache?

-Kirk

Offline hoss

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 09:55:56 AM »
sorry, should have been more clear...the memory cache.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 09:57:58 AM »
sorry, should have been more clear...the memory cache.

That's an awfully big Memory cache, especially on the MacBook Pro that you have.  I would push it down to 512 for sure on the 4GB MacPro, and down to 256 on the MacBook Pro.

I expect you may have been running out of memory and that virtual memory paging was slowing things down.

-Kirk

Offline hoss

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 10:24:54 AM »
Ok, tried that but I don't see any difference.  It may be a problem with my NAS, as I have tried rendering files across the same network from the desktop to the laptop with a big difference in performance (much quicker).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 10:43:58 AM »
Ok, tried that but I don't see any difference.  It may be a problem with my NAS, as I have tried rendering files across the same network from the desktop to the laptop with a big difference in performance (much quicker).

Do you have an IT department?  They can check the packets/loss/retries to see what is going on with the throughput.

-Kirk