Author Topic: Structured Keywords and IPTC Codes  (Read 3530 times)

Offline fazel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Structured Keywords and IPTC Codes
« on: October 30, 2007, 06:15:46 PM »
I just joined the controlled vocabulary list and it looks like they may have talked about this before but I don't think anyone's brought it up here. The controlled vocabulary keywords list has several fields that really don't belong as keywords; the IPTC Subject, Genre, and Scene for example. How much work would it take to allow the user to access the structured keywords dialogue from the IPTC stationary pad for the corresponding fields. Actually storing four text files (breaking the original up so that there was one for IPTC subjects, genres, scenes, plus one for everything else) and loading the appropriate one into the dialogue depending on which field the user is editing would be the ideal solution.

This is my understanding, as I'm new to all of this. If I'm mistaken please let me know.

--
andrew

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Structured Keywords and IPTC Codes
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 07:16:29 PM »
Andrew,

I just joined the controlled vocabulary list and it looks like they may have talked about this before but I don't think anyone's brought it up here. The controlled vocabulary keywords list has several fields that really don't belong as keywords; the IPTC Subject, Genre, and Scene for example. How much work would it take to allow the user to access the structured keywords dialogue from the IPTC stationary pad for the corresponding fields. Actually storing four text files (breaking the original up so that there was one for IPTC subjects, genres, scenes, plus one for everything else) and loading the appropriate one into the dialogue depending on which field the user is editing would be the ideal solution.

It would not be hard to allow terms from the Structured Keywords dialog to be applied to more than the Caption and Keywords fields.

Having separate files for each field would not be as easy, and maybe not even desirable for all users.

-Kirk