Author Topic: A few edit tools  (Read 6627 times)

Offline Paco Feria

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Paco Feria / photojournalist
A few edit tools
« on: October 31, 2007, 12:34:06 AM »
Really would be great have some few edit tools available in future versions of PM,  not much of them but
the few ones usually are used for fast editions such a as levels, or curves, tone, etc, a good place for them would be
in the preview mode as other dropdown menu together the info, crop zoom and Histogram ones, really when I have to edit several pictures I need retouching just few things, and  this will avoid open them in photoshop, which means a waste of time as well as some problems with metadata when switch between both applications.

Edit tools together with  the future cataloging feature, would allow  use PM as the only one app in the daily workflow, this  mean, for me at least,  save a lot of time and computer resources , apart of some others troubles... so, PM  becomes almost  the perfect software.

Thanks
Paco Feria / photojournalist
www.pacoferia.com

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
Re: A few edit tools
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 09:47:06 AM »
Paco.
I've lobbied for this in the past as well, but too many of the users here don't want the added overhead (I don't think it would add anything but usefulness myself).  They are not Photojournalists working on deadline.   It would be nice if camera bits made a PJ version with levels or curves control for those of us who have to move lots of quality photos fast.  It is the one link missing from making it the perfect, must have PJ tool on the market.  I would be glad to pay a little more for the software, I'm guessing others too, because it would save a ton of time on uploading or getting images to clients.  Let keep our fingers crossed and may be we'll get lucky :)

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 09:55:13 AM »
Please, PM is not a photo editor, nor is it Lightroom (thankfully).  See also my comment in another thread:

Neil,

PM is not a photo editing program.  While it has certain functions that allow some minor editing (e.g., crop and rotate), this editing is just to support the main purposes of PM, namely (in my opinion): browsing, selecting, and tagging images.  In the near future, cataloguing will be added to this.  I would vote against adding all sorts of editing capabilities to PM (there are many better programs to do that) as that would keep the developers away from adding features in the main areas.

(Note: PM is not a Lightroom clone!)

Just a humble opinion of a happy PM user :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 10:10:18 AM »
Hayo:
PM is not a lightroom clone nor our we asking for it to be.  PM is a great tool for photojournalist who must transmit on deadline. 

You are wrong in one respect and that is there is no better program that we use as photographers transmitting from the field than PM already.   If there is, let me know about it - I'd be happy to switch if it can do code replacement, bulk IPTC caption and renaming and limited editing.   The closest program on the market is FotoStation.  While it has a super set of simple edition tools, it does not have code replacement and at least the last version I owned as robust IPTC editing/replacement/output.

While many users like you use it to browse and tag, there is a large number of us who use it browse, select and FTP/send images to clients or publications immediately after they are shot.  Adding levels helps those of us in this career field do our job better and faster.  Simple as that.  It has nothing to do with emulating some program that you don't like.  And I too, am against adding a bunch of other editing tasks - Paco and I are asking for just one.   I know more than a couple of handfuls of PJs who do what I do and use PM daily to get pics to magazines and newspapers or to the web on tight deadlines who be thankful for this feature.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 11:41:58 AM »
Agree with Wolvie. Simple levels with maybe neutral colour picker would be more than enough. All other edits are for the photodesk. It would virtually eliminate the  need for photoshop if sending for newspaper. But this has been talked trough before, and the audience seems to be split. If this is manageable without losing PM's speed (which I don't fear that much), I am all for it. Frantisek

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 04:23:26 PM »
I agree Frantisek that really basic editing wouldn't hurt. Not complicated image manipulation just a simple levels, and maybe color correction. And I among others would include a free rotation (not just 90 degrees) of the crop. This would be all really needed. These would allow to check an image worth the real editing in PM or forget it at first. And some pics could be done with it as is.

Regarding the speed Kirk already told: an option not used in PM is not slowing it, and if it would they wouldn't bother adding it. And I trust theri knowledge and like their work and the direction it is heading.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 01:28:42 AM »
Ok guys, I see where you are coming from :)  I concur  ;D
(Oh, and yes, I forgot to mention the sending/uploading of images as one of the main functions of PM)

I do see the merit of some of the more minor image adjustments like rotating, cloning, and maybe even some minor colour manipulation (e.g., levels).  But please let's keep it at that!  Again: PM is not an image editor.  There are many better programs to do that (e.g. PhotoShop).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl