Author Topic: JPG Extract: Size and quality  (Read 8720 times)

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
JPG Extract: Size and quality
« on: October 23, 2007, 06:39:47 PM »
Would it be possible to add size and quality settings to the JPG extract dialog and processing?  I assume you already have code to do that since you can perform size and quality operations when creating the HTML albums.  I also assume that the album extracts are starting with the JPGs embedded in the raw files.  If so, it seems like it would be easy to add size and quality options to the regular JPG extract (along with a way to skip those settings to get the JPG as is, like it works today).  Adding these options here would save the time and hassle of doing batch processing in Capture NX to size the JPGs just so I can extract something other than full sized jpgs.

Thanks,
Danny

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: JPG Extract: Size and quality
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 08:24:43 PM »
Danny,

Would it be possible to add size and quality settings to the JPG extract dialog and processing?  I assume you already have code to do that since you can perform size and quality operations when creating the HTML albums.  I also assume that the album extracts are starting with the JPGs embedded in the raw files.  If so, it seems like it would be easy to add size and quality options to the regular JPG extract (along with a way to skip those settings to get the JPG as is, like it works today).  Adding these options here would save the time and hassle of doing batch processing in Capture NX to size the JPGs just so I can extract something other than full sized jpgs.

But then it wouldn't be an "extract" feature anymore.  The tool truly extracts the JPEG data from the RAW file, making it a full-fledged JPEG that is a truly lossless operation.

There is no reason to use Capture NX to do the resize operation, just extract and then do a Save As with the dimensions and quality you desire.

-Kirk

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 04:23:24 AM »
There is no reason to use Capture NX to do the resize operation, just extract and then do a Save As with the dimensions and quality you desire.

Very cool.  I didn't think about doing a Save As after the extract.  I just tested and you can do Save As on a selection of multiple photos.  I wish I had known about this last night before I ran Capture NX batch operations on two different directories.  It looks like PM has removed the need to do a resize or color profile conversion inside Capture NX for most of my common workflow activities.

I still have a question about the "Convert to sRGB" option though.  In Capture NX, when you change the color profile, you have the option of 4 types intent for the conversion: Perceptual, Saturation, Relative Colorimetric and Absolute Colorimetric.  Which intent does PM use when it converts to sRGB?

Thanks,
Danny

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 05:18:22 AM »
But then it wouldn't be an "extract" feature anymore.

There are times when people doesn't need an extract feature.
I personally would love much more to use a possibility to "save as" instead of "extract". But it doesn't exist. I often use small res, but cropped, watermarked previews that would save a lot of time to simply save from the raw. If I want to send those in e-mail it works fine. I set my crop on the RAW click send via email set things and send.
However if I want to FTP or store those images in a folder I have to add time consuming extra steps of extracting images, setting crops in a different folder which has to be opened as a new contact sheet etc.

The tool truly extracts the JPEG data from the RAW file, making it a full-fledged JPEG that is a truly lossless operation.

Lossless meaning the original embedded image is used. But since camera manufacturers doesn't store all EXIF info in the JPG stored in a RAW it can cause troubble. I like to take the small res JPGs with me on my laptop instead of dragging terrabytes of large RAWs usually not even needed. But some of my operations (renamings for example) involve EXIF data stored only in the RAW but not in the embedded JPG. Such one is serial number of the camera I use to identify camera bodyes and by that photographers and shooting positions.

So I hope for a save as (similar to email images but different target) option in RAWs, and it would be great if you could solve to add the serial number info from the RAW into the JPG during the extract/save operation. I understand that it wouldn't be the original embedded image, but I don't need the idea of being it the originnal but a useful solution....what else purpose would this extraction serve anyway?
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 06:58:30 AM »
Danny,

Very cool.  I didn't think about doing a Save As after the extract.  I just tested and you can do Save As on a selection of multiple photos.  I wish I had known about this last night before I ran Capture NX batch operations on two different directories.  It looks like PM has removed the need to do a resize or color profile conversion inside Capture NX for most of my common workflow activities.

I still have a question about the "Convert to sRGB" option though.  In Capture NX, when you change the color profile, you have the option of 4 types intent for the conversion: Perceptual, Saturation, Relative Colorimetric and Absolute Colorimetric.  Which intent does PM use when it converts to sRGB?

I believe it is Relative Colorimetric but I'd have to check the code for sure.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 07:10:54 AM »
szurkebarat,

But then it wouldn't be an "extract" feature anymore.

There are times when people doesn't need an extract feature.
I personally would love much more to use a possibility to "save as" instead of "extract". But it doesn't exist. I often use small res, but cropped, watermarked previews that would save a lot of time to simply save from the raw. If I want to send those in e-mail it works fine. I set my crop on the RAW click send via email set things and send.
However if I want to FTP or store those images in a folder I have to add time consuming extra steps of extracting images, setting crops in a different folder which has to be opened as a new contact sheet etc.

All we would have to do here is relax the restriction from doing a save as from RAW files.  It would have the same results as the other features you referenced.

Quote from: szurkebarat
The tool truly extracts the JPEG data from the RAW file, making it a full-fledged JPEG that is a truly lossless operation.

Lossless meaning the original embedded image is used. But since camera manufacturers doesn't store all EXIF info in the JPG stored in a RAW it can cause troubble. I like to take the small res JPGs with me on my laptop instead of dragging terrabytes of large RAWs usually not even needed. But some of my operations (renamings for example) involve EXIF data stored only in the RAW but not in the embedded JPG. Such one is serial number of the camera I use to identify camera bodyes and by that photographers and shooting positions.

So I hope for a save as (similar to email images but different target) option in RAWs, and it would be great if you could solve to add the serial number info from the RAW into the JPG during the extract/save operation. I understand that it wouldn't be the original embedded image, but I don't need the idea of being it the originnal but a useful solution....what else purpose would this extraction serve anyway?

The serial number information is not stored in EXIF tags.  It is in the proprietary maker note.  I'm not sure if the maker note of a RAW file would be completely applicable for a JPEG (its appropriateness may vary between manufacturers.)

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 02:35:36 AM »
All we would have to do here is relax the restriction from doing a save as from RAW files.  It would have the same results as the other features you referenced.

I'm not sure I understand your answer correctly. So you are working on some similar solution? If yes it is great. If not, I really didn't understand correctly...
;-))

The serial number information is not stored in EXIF tags.  It is in the proprietary maker note.  I'm not sure if the maker note of a RAW file would be completely applicable for a JPEG (its appropriateness may vary between manufacturers.)

I see, so it isn't a lack of thought or wish but the technical possibilties.
I am sorry since some of my workflow is based on some code replacements and the serial number to identify the bodies. But all those can only be used on the RAW files I preferably do not drag around in the world with me just smaller res JPGs then sync the edited details to the RAWs.

I hope to see a solution one day but will try to manage without it until then....thanks the answers!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 07:42:58 AM by Kirk Baker »
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 07:41:03 AM »
On a recent attempt I now discovered not only the extracted JPG files are disturbed by lacking serial num info, but during a RAW+JPG view PM doesn't work with the serial number info even if IPTC/XMP is set to be used from the RAW instead of the JPG.
If I remove the JPGs from the contact sheet I can work (rename) based on camera serial numbers (and a code replacement string) if the JPGs lacking this info are in the contact sheet than all my files are renamed mistakenly.

My renaming strng is usualliy {datesort}{sqn}+{snum}+ where I use + as a code replacement delimiter and have a code replacement file including the serial numbers of my camera bodies. As a result of such a renaming I shall get filenames ending with a, b, c, d, etc letters telling me which of my camera bodies made the given picture.
But like I mentioned above if the JPGs are in the contact sheet, where {snum} is not available, not only JPGs will be named {datesort}{sqn}++ but the RAWs containing the missing info as well...
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 06:29:52 PM »
On a recent attempt I now discovered not only the extracted JPG files are disturbed by lacking serial num info, but during a RAW+JPG view PM doesn't work with the serial number info even if IPTC/XMP is set to be used from the RAW instead of the JPG.
If I remove the JPGs from the contact sheet I can work (rename) based on camera serial numbers (and a code replacement string) if the JPGs lacking this info are in the contact sheet than all my files are renamed mistakenly.

That setting controls information only from IPTC/XMP.  The serial number is not contained in the IPTC information.

Why don't you just put the serial number into some unused IPTC field during Ingest?  Then it will always be available...

-Kirk

Offline Serge Nelissen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 09:48:19 AM »
Hello Kirk,

> All we would have to do here is relax the restriction from doing a save as from RAW files.  It would have the same results as
> the other features you referenced.

Please do that... please.

Serge
Serge from Belgium (8 months winter - 4 months bad weather)