Author Topic: Soft Rotation: Do I Need to "Save"?  (Read 12990 times)

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
    • Dwight McCann Digital Imagery
Soft Rotation: Do I Need to "Save"?
« on: June 04, 2006, 10:49:58 AM »
I have 200 jpeg images in a folder.  I shot some in portrait mode.  They have the rotation flag set by my Canon 1D Mark II.  When I open the folder in PM they are displayed in portrait mode with the little round arrow in the corner.  I select the Tools->Apply Rotation to JPEGs, get the popup that says that they will be rotated for all applications.  I click OK.  Something happens as I see a progress indicator.  The portrait images in the display look just the same as before, vertical with the round arrow in the corner.  The images on disk are not updated/rotated.  What must I do to get the losslessly rotated images saved?  Will the rotation flag be turned off in the rotated images so no applications think they still need rotation? Or am I misunderstanding what this operation is intended to do?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Soft Rotation: Do I Need to "Save"?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 11:09:22 AM »
I have 200 jpeg images in a folder.  I shot some in portrait mode.  They have the rotation flag set by my Canon 1D Mark II.  When I open the folder in PM they are displayed in portrait mode with the little round arrow in the corner.  I select the Tools->Apply Rotation to JPEGs, get the popup that says that they will be rotated for all applications.  I click OK.  Something happens as I see a progress indicator.  The portrait images in the display look just the same as before, vertical with the round arrow in the corner.  The images on disk are not updated/rotated.  What must I do to get the losslessly rotated images saved?  Will the rotation flag be turned off in the rotated images so no applications think they still need rotation? Or am I misunderstanding what this operation is intended to do?

I just tried the Apply Rotation to JPEGs tool on single soft-rotated JPEGs and RAW+JPEG pairs.  Both worked fine.  The soft-rotation indicator disappeared as it should.  There need be no special additional step.

What version of Photo Mechanic are you using, and on what OS platform?

-Kirk

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 02:01:34 PM »
I am runing 4.3.3. on Windows XP Pro.  So, there is no need to do a "save" operation?  I assume I do not need to "select" the images for soft rotation since that would defeat the purpose.  I am also assuming it is applied to the current contact sheet window that is open with thumbnails being displayed.

I am going to open another thread to ask about setting the default external editor.

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 03:51:01 PM »
While it makes sense, it is not clear that the images to be soft rotated must be a subset of currently selected images. I have now rotated a large subset of a folder and it works as expected.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 05:29:25 PM »
While it makes sense, it is not clear that the images to be soft rotated must be a subset of currently selected images. I have now rotated a large subset of a folder and it works as expected.

Everything in Photo Mechanic operates on the current selection.  Photos that are not JPEGs in the case of the "Apply Rotation to JPEGs" are skipped so you don't have to pick out the JPEGs separately, and moreover you don't have to figure out which ones are soft-rotated.  Photos that are not soft-rotated are also skipped (nothing to do in that case.)

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 07:56:18 PM »
All makes perfect sense with 20/20 hindsight!  So, I know why I am working on the weekend but why are you? :-)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 09:09:36 PM »
All makes perfect sense with 20/20 hindsight!  So, I know why I am working on the weekend but why are you? :-)

I'm trying to be as available as possible during this last beta phase.  I want 4.4.3.1 to be as solid as possible so that I can work on 4.5 knowing that everyone has a version that is working properly for them.

So everyone, please try the beta and do not wait until it goes final before trying it out.

-Kirk