Author Topic: rotate preview in IPTC edit window  (Read 5722 times)

Offline broke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
rotate preview in IPTC edit window
« on: November 02, 2007, 04:51:52 AM »
Kirk,

Please consider adding the redundant ability to rotate the small preview shown in the IPTC caption edit window.

It's a very picky point, but on deadline it would be nice to be able to rotate the image preview within the IPTC caption editing window. Currently you need to close the IPTC edit window to go back to the contact sheet then rotate the thumbnail and return to edit the caption. It's a minor inconvenience at the moment so is a lower priority feature request.

Images from Nikon cameras auto rotate correctly in PhotoMechanic but images from the Canon cameras do not rotate.  It's up to Canon to correct the way they write image orientation in the EXIF. When that happens during captioning, I just turn my head sideways so save time. ;D

If it is possible to add the image preview rotation in the IPTC edit window, please consider changing some keystrokes if there are no conflicts:

ALT + [   rotate counterclockwise in both contact sheet and IPTC edit window
ALT + ]   rotate clockwise in both contact sheet and IPTC edit window
ALT + <   save edit and move to previous photo in IPTC edit window; currently ALT + [
ALT + >   save edit and move to next photo in IPTC edit window; currently ALT  + ]
ALT + SHIFT + < move to previous photo; currently ALT + SHIFT + [
ALT + SHIFT + > move to next photo; current ALT + SHIFT + ]

Thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 05:17:38 AM by broke »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: rotate preview in IPTC edit window
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 06:55:19 AM »
Please consider adding the redundant ability to rotate the small preview shown in the IPTC caption edit window.

It's a very picky point, but on deadline it would be nice to be able to rotate the image preview within the IPTC caption editing window. Currently you need to close the IPTC edit window to go back to the contact sheet then rotate the thumbnail and return to edit the caption. It's a minor inconvenience at the moment so is a lower priority feature request.

Images from Nikon cameras auto rotate correctly in PhotoMechanic but images from the Canon cameras do not rotate.  It's up to Canon to correct the way they write image orientation in the EXIF. When that happens during captioning, I just turn my head sideways so save time. ;D

What Canon cameras don't write out the EXIF orientation tag?  All of the Pro/Semi-Pro cameras from Canon do...

Quote from: broke
If it is possible to add the image preview rotation in the IPTC edit window, please consider changing some keystrokes if there are no conflicts:

ALT + [   rotate counterclockwise in both contact sheet and IPTC edit window
ALT + ]   rotate clockwise in both contact sheet and IPTC edit window
ALT + <   save edit and move to previous photo in IPTC edit window; currently ALT + [
ALT + >   save edit and move to next photo in IPTC edit window; currently ALT  + ]
ALT + SHIFT + < move to previous photo; currently ALT + SHIFT + [
ALT + SHIFT + > move to next photo; current ALT + SHIFT + ]

I wonder if these keys would work for folks in european countries?  There is a thread discussing that Alt+[ and Alt+] are impossible to type on some keyboards.  I could at least add the hover buttons so you could do the rotation with the mouse as well.

-Kirk

Offline broke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 01:51:37 PM »
Canon 1D Mark II and 1D photos are not auto rotating in PhotoMechanic 4.4.3.3. on MacOS 10.4.10.
It's also not auto rotating in PhotoMechanic 4.5.3 public beta 3 on WinXP Pro SP2 or MacOS 10.4.10.
It does however auto rotate in the Canon DPP software.

I've checked the cameras to rule out operator error from disabled/wrong camera settings but I'll check again.

---

The addition of rotate from the mouse hover buttons would be great. Thanks for considering it.

---

This is really picky but for the suggestion of possible keystrokes to rotate in the IPTC edit window, I saw the < and > on the keyboard matched the same buttons on screen in the IPTC edit window, but I really meant:

ALT + comma   to  save caption edit and move to previous photo
ALT + period   to  save caption edit and move to next photo

ALT + SHIFT + comma    to move to previous photo without saving caption edits
ALT + SHIFT + period     to move to next photo without saving caption edits

On a US keyboard < and comma are the same key as are > and period.

So generating ALT + <  or ALT + > requires pressing SHIFT. We then cannot press ALT + SHIFT + < or ALT + SHIFT + > because it's the same thing. Duh on my part.

Thanks for you time.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 03:48:04 PM »
Canon 1D Mark II and 1D photos are not auto rotating in PhotoMechanic 4.4.3.3. on MacOS 10.4.10.
It's also not auto rotating in PhotoMechanic 4.5.3 public beta 3 on WinXP Pro SP2 or MacOS 10.4.10.
It does however auto rotate in the Canon DPP software.

I've checked the cameras to rule out operator error from disabled/wrong camera settings but I'll check again.

I'd really like to see samples of images from these cameras.  Send me a personal message by clicking on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link near the bottom.  I'll respond with server upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline broke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 04:04:17 PM »
Operator error!

It was my mistake that lead me to believe PhotoMechanic 4.4.3.3 was not correctly auto rotating some files from the Canon 1D and 1D Mark II.

For the Canon 1D Mark II: set the camera setting to turn AUTO ROTATE to ON if you want PhotoMechanic to auto rotate the images.

There is no AUTO ROTATE setting the Canon 1D because the older camera doesn't have an orientation sensor.