Author Topic: IPTC stationary pad: Combine Country and Country code  (Read 8444 times)

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
IPTC stationary pad: Combine Country and Country code
« on: November 01, 2007, 02:04:41 PM »
Its a good idea when Country and Country code get combined:

If I select "Germany" as Country, then should at the same time appear the country-code (DEU) in the Code: field.

I think there is no reason to do this separately.
using the latest version of PM on win10

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC stationary pad: Combine Country and Country code
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 06:59:36 AM »

If I select "Germany" as Country, then should at the same time appear the country-code (DEU) in the Code: field.

While that may work for you, what about all of the other folks who write in different languages and as such "Germany" may be spelled differently?  It would be very difficult to add such a feature when it is hard to know what all of the possibilities are.

-Kirk

Offline kwell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 07:37:17 AM »
Could the Country field be filled in with a combination of code replacement and the IPTC Country Code variable? If so, then all you would need to select is the country code, and the Country name would be filled in automatically if you have set up a code replacement file (allowing you to specify whatever language you want).

Kevin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 08:21:48 AM »
Kevin,

Could the Country field be filled in with a combination of code replacement and the IPTC Country Code variable? If so, then all you would need to select is the country code, and the Country name would be filled in automatically if you have set up a code replacement file (allowing you to specify whatever language you want).

Code Replacement only works within the current text field.  It cannot populate a different text field.

-Kirk

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 09:52:48 AM »

While that may work for you, what about all of the other folks who write in different languages and as such "Germany" may be spelled differently?  It would be very difficult to add such a feature when it is hard to know what all of the possibilities are.

-Kirk

ok thats an argument. So, one more reason for make it customizable by the user!

It enough to select only one of this two fields and let the other fill out by the computer (computers are made for such repeating, stupid work)
using the latest version of PM on win10

Offline kwell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 10:54:51 AM »
I don't think I explained myself quite right. Here's another shot:

1. Fill out only the Code field in your photos; leave the "Country" field blank.
2. Select all photos, and press CTRL-I to apply bulk IPTC data to the selected images.
3. The only thing that should be check-boxed is "Country" and in the box should be "\{ccod}\"
4. Click "Apply Stationery to Selected"

PM will then perform a code replacement action looking for the abbreviation equal to the country code. If you have a code replacement file set up with, say "DEU Germany" or "DEU Alemania" or whatever, then upon applying this stationery, the IPTC Country field will take the name associated with the Code field. I just tried it and it worked fine.

It's the reverse of what Brendan wanted (i.e., update the code based on the country), but it might achieve the basic goal of not filling in both boxes.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Offline Paco Feria

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Paco Feria / photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 01:10:52 PM »
Well I asked fot this feature in the past so, I´m going to attack it again, well not just the country and code would be filled together but also  the location, city and State fields, the screen shoot shows how it should be, there you can see a list of countries, each country has it own submenu which the state / province, the State has it own submenu containing the cities, and the cities it own submenu containing the Location / place were the picture was taken, in the example once you select the uncle`s bar all the other fields ( city, State, country and code country ) are filled automatically, as is supposed that the Uncle´s bar  remains always in the same place I don´t need fill this info over and over, as the bar is in Los Angeles, Los Angeles in California, and California is in the USA, such way is how fotostation deal with this issue, so if we could select from a dropdown menu available in any of the implied fields ( Country code, country, State, and location ) then, you can you avoid mistakes and waste of time filling over and over evident datas, in my case I work for four different towns surrounding home, in PM i have to enter manually each time the same places, and of course there are always in the same province, and country, make sense?, thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]
Paco Feria / photojournalist
www.pacoferia.com

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 08:40:01 AM »

I can hardly imagine a situation when one sets a different country code than the selected country actually is called by him. Of course Camera Bits cannot prepare for all language versions one may use (even English uses uses different names for England) but I think it could be solved similarly like the editable content drop down menus next to all the IPTC fields. PM would include a basic official country list and the user may redefine it to his liking what he intends to be using. So the short codes would list beside the editable long versions allways showing which brings up what.
Or maybe it could be a possibility to add two-three fields to all codes this way after selecting the code a selection of only a few countries would pop up in the list.

Of course I don't know how much work this would mean to Kirk and the others. It is not such a great thing to click through all the countries and set them besides each other. Specially not for those not travelling a lot and using mostly the same location settings.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com