Author Topic: External harddrive files crashing beta 3  (Read 4733 times)

Offline vasha

• View Profile
External harddrive files crashing beta 3
« on: November 03, 2007, 09:52:27 AM »
I'm having beta 3 freeze up when opening a folder off an external USB hard drive, is this a common problem, or am I the only one?

My specs are a Powerbook G4 1.33 ghz, 17 in screen with 1.5 gigs RAM and OS 10.5.0 and a western digital 250 gig portable hard drive (the black cased ones selling at Best Buy) over USB 2 less than half full. The folder is about 500 images canon 1d Raw+jpgs.

I'm able to open up files on my powerbook's internal drive OK.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: External harddrive files crashing beta 3
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 12:19:57 PM »
Vasha,

I'm having beta 3 freeze up when opening a folder off an external USB hard drive, is this a common problem, or am I the only one?

My specs are a Powerbook G4 1.33 ghz, 17 in screen with 1.5 gigs RAM and OS 10.5.0 and a western digital 250 gig portable hard drive (the black cased ones selling at Best Buy) over USB 2 less than half full. The folder is about 500 images canon 1d Raw+jpgs.

I'm able to open up files on my powerbook's internal drive OK.

How is the external drive powered?  By a USB cable, or a power supply?

I know of no specific reports of problems that you have described, but I know that Photo Mechanic will utilize the full bandwidth of any hard drive and if that causes it to draw more power than can be provided I can see how the drive itself may run into trouble.

If you're powering it by USB and have a power adaptor then try using the power adaptor instead.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline vasha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 11:17:25 AM »
It is USB powered, but that is the only way it is powered, being a notebook drive. It has worked in the past with PM 4.5.2 and 4.4.3.3.

That is why I thought it might be a bug.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 11:46:11 AM »
It is USB powered, but that is the only way it is powered, being a notebook drive. It has worked in the past with PM 4.5.2 and 4.4.3.3.

That is why I thought it might be a bug.

Then maybe it is a bug in Mac OS X 10.5 that is causing the issue.  We haven't changed how images are read or written in 4.5.3 over how things were done in 4.5.2.

Do you have dual boot capability so you can go back to 10.4.x and see if the problem disappears?

-Kirk