Author Topic: Editing photos from preview with Leopard  (Read 5077 times)

Offline mjterrill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Editing photos from preview with Leopard
« on: November 05, 2007, 02:16:02 AM »
I'm experiencing an issue since upgrading to Leopard. When editing into CS3 from the preview window of PM, the pictures don't make it into Photoshop about half the time. I'm seeing this with both 4.5.2 and the current beta. Anyone else seeing this? Anyone have a solution?

Mark J. Terrill
Associated Press

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Editing photos from preview with Leopard
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 06:06:09 AM »
Mark,

I'm experiencing an issue since upgrading to Leopard. When editing into CS3 from the preview window of PM, the pictures don't make it into Photoshop about half the time. I'm seeing this with both 4.5.2 and the current beta. Anyone else seeing this? Anyone have a solution?

I have not heard of this in reference to Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) specifically but there has been a long-standing issue with Photoshop where it can get into a state where it doesn't open files that are sent to it by Photo Mechanic or even by the Finder.  In previous cases reinstalling Photoshop solves the problem.  But before I suggest that solution I have people try the following test to find out if the problem is on Photoshop's end:

Run Photoshop.  Have no documents open.
Switch to the Finder.
Select several photos and drag them to the running Photoshop icon in the Dock.
If Photoshop opens no documents (or not all of them) then the solution has been to reinstall Photoshop.

I can tell you that none of the file launching code in Photo Mechanic has changed for some time now.  It is entirely possible that in 10.5 Apple has changed the behavior of the Launch Services API and that could be the cause of the problem.

I will look into this as soon as possible.

-Kirk

Offline mjterrill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 01:20:01 AM »
Kirk,

I tried your suggestion several times and several different ways. Every picture opened every time.

I think I isolated the problem so that it can be duplicated. If you open a picture from preview and (as soon as Photoshop comes forward) go back to PM before the picture opens, it will not open in Photoshop most of the time.

BTW, is there a way to keep Photoshop from coming forward when you edit from preview? I would really like to go through an edit and put several pictures into Photoshop while staying in preview mode.

Many thanks,

Mark J. Terrill
Associated Press

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 10:03:37 PM »
Mark,

I tried your suggestion several times and several different ways. Every picture opened every time.

OK, so that old bug in Photoshop/Mac OS X isn't the culprit.

Quote from: mjterrill
I think I isolated the problem so that it can be duplicated. If you open a picture from preview and (as soon as Photoshop comes forward) go back to PM before the picture opens, it will not open in Photoshop most of the time.

Interesting.  So you do something like quickly click back into a PM window or use Command-Tab to switch back as quickly as you can and the problem manifests itself whereas if you wait for the image to open it doesn't ever fail?

Quote from: mjterrill
BTW, is there a way to keep Photoshop from coming forward when you edit from preview? I would really like to go through an edit and put several pictures into Photoshop while staying in preview mode.

It appears that it is possible to use the Apple-provided launching API to suppress the activation of the launched application.  We would have to provide a preference to control this and it would be Mac-only since I know of no way to do the equivalent behavior on Windows.

Another way you could do this in the meantime is to use tags, color classes, or ratings to indicate to yourself that you want to edit a file.  Then once you get back to the contact sheet, you can select those items that have your 'indicator' on them and then open them all up at once.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline mjterrill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 12:06:18 AM »
Quote from: Kirk Baker
Interesting.  So you do something like quickly click back into a PM window or use Command-Tab to switch back as quickly as you can and the problem manifests itself whereas if you wait for the image to open it doesn't ever fail?

Kirk,

That's exactly right.

Mark

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 06:15:47 AM »
Mark,

Quote from: Kirk Baker

That's exactly right.

OK, I'll try and report this to Adobe and Apple since I think this behavior is beyond our control.

-Kirk