Author Topic: EXIF data in photos exported to email  (Read 7489 times)

Offline agroforester

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
EXIF data in photos exported to email
« on: November 06, 2007, 08:01:39 AM »
When I send photos by email from PM (Canon 20D photos sent to Entourage in Mac OS 10.4.x), the camera exif data seems to be deleted in the files attached to my email. Is there a setting which preserves the exif info?

Thanks, Craig

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: EXIF data in photos exported to email
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 08:44:47 AM »
Craig,

When I send photos by email from PM (Canon 20D photos sent to Entourage in Mac OS 10.4.x), the camera exif data seems to be deleted in the files attached to my email. Is there a setting which preserves the exif info?

There is no setting that will preserve the EXIF data when sending photos via email.  Sorry.

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 05:54:33 AM »
Just started to demo PM.

Not sure I understand what is meant by EXIF data not being preserved in email in Kirk's reply above.

I email photos back and forth with my kids and friends.  The EXIF data in the images is critical since we often discuss how certain images were captured or might be improved, etc.  Unless we can see each others camera model and settings, shutter, aperture, ISO, etc, etc we would have to relay that info by phone or something - not good.

If PM strips all EXIF data from emails that would be a deal breaker.  Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks,

Bill Wood

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 06:59:01 AM »
Bill,

Just started to demo PM.

Not sure I understand what is meant by EXIF data not being preserved in email in Kirk's reply above.

I email photos back and forth with my kids and friends.  The EXIF data in the images is critical since we often discuss how certain images were captured or might be improved, etc.  Unless we can see each others camera model and settings, shutter, aperture, ISO, etc, etc we would have to relay that info by phone or something - not good.

If PM strips all EXIF data from emails that would be a deal breaker.  Am I reading this correctly?

You read that correctly.  Unless you apply no scaling or cropping and your images are already JPEGs and you've set the quality to maximum with no chroma sub-sampling (any differences in these parameters causes a new image to be created) then the original image is not sent.

I spoke with others on the team and it is quite possible to add EXIF preservation to the email facility, but the width and height EXIF data will have to be patched to be the dimensions of the final image since having that differ will definitely cause some apps to fail when they work with the image.

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 08:17:54 AM »
Bill,

I spoke with others on the team and it is quite possible to add EXIF preservation to the email facility, but the width and height EXIF data will have to be patched to be the dimensions of the final image since having that differ will definitely cause some apps to fail when they work with the image.

-Kirk

Perfect!  The images we now send/receive by email always show the resized dimensions in EXIF (unless we don't resize them which would be unusual since the original images are generally too big to email).

Hope this change can be implemented in a future update.

Thanks,

Bill Wood