Author Topic: PM & Spaces in OS X Leopard - problem  (Read 4564 times)

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
PM & Spaces in OS X Leopard - problem
« on: January 07, 2008, 04:47:47 AM »
Hi, I have the following issue with PM & Leopard. With any "front" operation like saving as, applying IPTC or even open IPTC stationery window, basically when something is run which doesn't run in background, I can't switch to any other Space than the one with PM.

Leopard does switch, but immediately switches back to the PM space.

This is tiresome especially with IPTC windows, as I frequently look up caption information on the web, with browser being in different Space than PM.

Dunno if this is PM issue or Leopard issue.

Thanks, Frantisek

Offline vassing

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • Morten Vassing│Photojournalist
Re: PM & Spaces in OS X Leopard - problem
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 05:06:29 AM »
Thank you, Frantisek Vlcek

I have experienced the exact same annoyance since I began using Spaces. Dunno what is causing this but rest assured that Kirk will come up with some plausible explanation (or even better a quick fix).

Best,

Morten Vassing
Morten Vassing│Photojournalist - COPENHAGEN│Denmark - Nikon D3│MacBook Pro │ Mac OS X (10.8)│PM5

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 06:33:36 AM »
Frantisek,

Hi, I have the following issue with PM & Leopard. With any "front" operation like saving as, applying IPTC or even open IPTC stationery window, basically when something is run which doesn't run in background, I can't switch to any other Space than the one with PM.

Leopard does switch, but immediately switches back to the PM space.

This is tiresome especially with IPTC windows, as I frequently look up caption information on the web, with browser being in different Space than PM.

Dunno if this is PM issue or Leopard issue.

It is because you are leaving modal dialogs open when switching spaces.  The progress dialogs and IPTC dialogs are modal dialogs.  This is unlikely to change.

Why Spaces lets you switch temporarily and then jumps back again is likely due to Apple's implementation of Spaces.  It would be better if they didn't let you switch at all in that case, or just let it work.  I don't see why it would be a problem to switch Spaces leaving a modal dialog active in another Space.  It would still be there waiting for your return.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 04:14:56 PM »
Hi Kirk, so I presume it's an Apple issue, and so we should file a report with them? Or what's the conclusion...Just for consideration, applying a filter in Photoshop which I believe is also a modal dialog doesn't result in such behaviour. So I am at a loss if that's Apple's UI problem, Cocoa problem or PM problem. Thanks a lot, Frantisek

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 04:25:56 PM »
Franisek,

Hi Kirk, so I presume it's an Apple issue, and so we should file a report with them? Or what's the conclusion...Just for consideration, applying a filter in Photoshop which I believe is also a modal dialog doesn't result in such behaviour. So I am at a loss if that's Apple's UI problem, Cocoa problem or PM problem.

Photo Mechanic uses Cocoa frameworks.  Photoshop uses Carbon frameworks (I believe, but this could have changed by now.)

I think I have an idea as to what may be going on.  Photo Mechanic has places where one modal dialog calls up another modal dialog and the Cocoa frameworks don't handle the window ordering properly which led me to adding a timer to keep the modal windows in the proper order.  I think that this code may be the culprit.

Do you know if when you switch from one Space to another if the active application changes too?  If so, then I could key off Photo Mechanic becoming inactive to pause my window ordering code.  When PM is resumed, it could return to its necessary window ordering behavior.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 06:52:39 AM »
Kirk, well yes, the active application does switch when switching to another space, if only briefly, before switching back.

So maybe the fix you proposed could work :)

Thanks, Frantisek

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 08:57:31 AM »
Frantisek,

Kirk, well yes, the active application does switch when switching to another space, if only briefly, before switching back.

So maybe the fix you proposed could work :)

Are you willing to test? ;)

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 02:25:54 AM »
Sure :)